Building an Effective Digital Content Strategy
Content strategy is the discipline of systematically organizing, planning and presenting digital content in a way that maximizes clarity, buy-in and results. This class covers everything a communications professional needs to create a content strategy for digital projects with confidence and credibility.
Managing today’s complex strategic communications – which include textual and visual assets that are clear, relevant and readable on any device – requires an organized, targeted plan. Learn how to develop a plan that effectively connects business goals and stakeholder interests with audience needs, wants and expectations.
Each participant will produce a Content Strategy Deck for a project of the participant’s choosing. The document will include:
- Business purpose with key performance indicators
- Brand persona
- User persona, including user stories
- Style guide
- Content audit/matrix
- Copy deck
Who Should Attend
- Marketing professionals
- Communications professionals
- Designers and writers responsible for managing and/or producing an organization’s digital content
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Familiarity with the language of content strategy as a discipline
- Familiarity with where content strategy fits in the larger catalog of digital design (UX design, web design, app design)
- How content strategy connects business goals with audience goals
- The documents expected in a credible content strategy and how to produce them
- The four communication properties that all effective content achieves
- What neuroscience teaches about content choices, chunking, sequencing and cueing
- Content strategy – What it is and why you need one
- Audience/brand personas
- Conducting and analyzing the results of a content audit/inventory
- Content matrix
- Content layout/wireframes/style guides
- Copy decks
- Digital communication and brain science
- Identifying business objectives and purpose
Professionals in marketing, design, technology, business management and/or relevant field or two or more years of career experience in the same. Beginner to intermediate skills in Microsoft Excel. A solid understanding of marketing concepts.
This is a blended class with curriculum presented both online and in the classroom.
Spring 2016: This course meets at UWM SCE for a full day on 4/29.
I really liked the small class size, as it allowed us to share our individual goals and help utilize the class to reflect our real life situations.
— Student, 2014
I liked the structure of the course and how it incorporated our current job into the assignments. I have learned a lot about building a content strategy and have gained a new way of thinking about branding / marketing initiatives. Kyle was extremely knowledgeable and made the course fun!
— Student, 2015
Fri., Apr. 29-May 13
Instructor: Kyle Henderson
Enrollment Limit: 20
Program Number: 5026-8579
Online: Fri., Apr. 29-Fri., May 13
Face-to-Face: Fri., Apr. 29, 8:30am-4:30pm
Face-to-Face days meet at the School of Continuing Education.
Registration Deadline: Fri., Apr. 29