User Experience for the Web
Creating a positive user experience is one of the most important aspects of designing for the Web. To do it well, you must begin with a firm understanding of your users, what we call a user-centered design approach. Once you know your users, you can then build a site that accommodates the necessary content and create interactions that are both intuitive and enjoyable. We can no longer afford to create websites that merely function. They must delight the user.
Who Should Attend
Those interested in learning about web design principles and best practices that maximize the user experience.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Understand and apply principles of user experience design
- Conduct basic user research and analyze the results
- Recognize the basic building blocks of visual design
- Construct coherent navigation and information architectures
- Apply the cognitive aspects of interaction design to the design of websites
- Devise strategies for developing responsive and mobile designs
- Design sites that comply with Web accessibility standards
Understanding your Users: Ye shall know thy users and it will set you free.
- Principles of user-centered design
- Contextual Inquiry: Understanding users and their world
- Personas: Building a model of your users
- Evaluation: Usability testing and heuristics (that’s a fancy name for rules of thumb)
- The Aesthetics of Design: Color and typography
- Page Layout: It’s all about grids
- Graphics and multimedia
- Navigation: Help! I’m lost in hyperspace!
- Information Architecture: You can get there from here
- Searching and filtering strategies
Interaction Design: It’s more than just taps and clicks
- Framing the user’s choices
- Mental models
- Understanding cognitive load
- Providing feedback to the user
Responsive Web Design: One size does not fit all
Accessibility: What’s good for the disabled is good for everyone
Designing for mobile and tablet devices
Experience using Windows and a web browser, HTML Part I and CSS Part I OR equivalent experience.
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Dates and locations to be announced.