UWM is located in the upper east side of Milwaukee, considered one of Milwaukee’s nicest and safest neighborhoods. It is still important to follow personal safety tips to reduce the likelihood of an incident occurring to you.
Be Aware and Alert
- Be aware and alert to what is going on around you.
- Stand tall, walk confidently, and make eye contact with those around you.
- Be aware of your surroundings especially when using a handheld device.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- If you have been drinking, have someone walk you home or get a ride.
- Know where the nearest blue light phone is.
- Know the hours of B.O.S.S. and SAFE in order to get around.
- Know your destination and how you are getting there.
- Download the UWM mobile app for easy access to campus safety resources.
- Program the Campus Police #’s into your phone:
- Emergency: (414) 229-9911
- Non-Emergency: (414) 229-4627
- Keep doors locked, even if you are away for only a few minutes.
- Do not leave electronics, purses, wallets, or backpacks unattended.
- Lock your vehicles to prevent theft of or from your vehicle.
- Never leave valuables in the passenger compartment of vehicles.
- Learn to protect yourself. Take a self defense course.