Student Transit


In cooperation with the Milwaukee County Transit System(MCTS), UW—Milwaukee developed the UPASS transit program to serve both commuting students and students living on or near campus. There are 8 local bus routes and 3 express bus routes in Milwaukee County that take passengers directly to the University.

What is a UPASS or M-Card?
UPASS is a new card device that is scanned in order to gain access to any MCTS bus at no charge (Must show current student ID with UPASS). It will look identical to the M-Card, but the bus card readers will identify it it as different.

The M-Card is a card device that takes a dollar value, this value is deducted everytime it is used to ride a MCTS bus. Money must be put on this card to make it valid to use.

CAUTION: DO NOT ADD MONEY TO YOUR UPASS, THIS WILL INVALIDATE IT AS A UPASS. A replacement UPASS will need to be purchased if money is added to a card.

How can I get a UPASS or M-Card?
Elgible students may collect a UPASS and anyone can purchase an M-Card at the Transportation Services office during regular office hours. Students are eligible to pick up their UPASS 48 hours after registering for classes. UPASSes will not be activated until classes start (Aug 29th). (See eligibility requirements below)

Lost or Misplaced UPASS?
If a student loses the UPASS issued to them, there is a $25.00 replacement fee, and the Transportaion services can only issue one replacement UPASS to each student per semester. Students must come to the Transportation services Office with their student ID in order to get a replacement.

Any student that loses their replacement UPASS will not be eligible for another one in the same semester.

Who is Eligible?
To be eligible, you must be a student taking at least one class for credit on the Kenwood campus (not online). The cost of the UPASS is included in your tuition as part of the student segregated fees.

UPASS is accepted as full fare on every MCTS-operated bus route, whether it’s a local, freeway flyer, or special route. Your UPASS must be presented with a valid student ID in order to ride the bus.

MCTS Trip Planner
Need help planning a trip to campus or any other MCTS destination,

Local MCTS Routes that come to UWM Campus

Waukesha County Transit – Operated by Wisconsin Coach Lines/Coach USA
During the Fall and Spring semesters, while classes are in session, students and staff that present a valid UWM U-PASS or UWM Faculty ID (with a Commuter Value Pass) are able to ride at no cost to and from the UWM Campus on Waukesha 901, 904*, and 905* routes.

*On some 904 and 905 routes a transfer is needed to complete the trip to or from the UWM campus. Transfers are made on the southwest corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Cass Streets in downtown Milwaukee. Ask your driver for details. This agreement does not extend during the summer and winter breaks.

To access express freeway flyer routes to campus, visit the Park and Ride page.

Wheelchair-accessible buses are available. For detailed Milwaukee County Bus timetable information visit MCTS on the web at Plus call the MCTS BusLine at (414)–344–6711. Consult our A.D.A page for additional information regarding accessibility.

MCTS Social Media
Twitter –

Facebook –

Summer UPASS Use
Students paying segregated fees for courses taken over the summer period will have the UPASS remain active automatically throughout the summer.

During the summer period, the UPASS will remain active for the day after Spring finals until one week prior to Fall courses begin, traditionally.

Students not paying segregated fees for the summer are not eligible for the UPASS to remain active automatically. If interested in activating a UPASS during the summer, students will need to pay the associated portion of segregated fees for Summer use. Also, students seeking to pay the associated portion of segregated fees for Summer use of the UPASS will need to have paid segregated fees or will pay segregated fees for the Spring and Fall semester in the same year of the Summer UPASS session in question.

The associated charge for purchasing the UPASS, as long as a student meets the previously described criteria, is $22.55. This purchase may be made at the UWM Transportation Services office in the UWM Student Union WG25. No refund available after the charge is processed.

Students interested in information regarding segregated fees may learn more at the UWM Student Association website, Traditionally students taking courses on campus are assessed segregated fees, while students taking on-line only courses are not assessed segregated fees and therefore not eligible for the UPASS.

The Summer UPASS will be available for sale from the UWM Transportation Services office beginning Monday, May 15. It will not be activated for use until Monday, May 22 when the Spring 2017 permit is deactivated.
Transit Plus
What is Transit Plus?
Transit Plus is a transportation service for individuals with a disabling illness or condition that prevents them from using Milwaukee County Transit System(MCTS) buses. Rides on Transit Plus cost $3.50 each way (Note: tickets must be purchased in books of ten at a cost of $35.00 per book). Rides must be requested not less than one day before and not more than two weeks in advance of the date of the ride.

Transit Plus is free to students who have a valid UPASS and a DA pass that they must obtain from MCTS.

Who is Eligible?
MCTS must provide a DA Pass after assesing thata person meets the following criteria.

  • A person with a disability who cannot independently board, ride or get off a bus.
  • A person whose disability-related condition or environmental barrier makes it impossible to independently travel to or from a fixed route bus stop.

These are the only criteria used to determine paratransit eligibility. Personal safety, behavioral problems, age, social security status or other issues are not considered in determining eligibility. for more information.

Q: What is a UPASS or M-Card?
A: The UPASS is a new card device that is scanned in order to gain access to any MCTS bus at no charge (Must show current student ID with UPASS). It will look identical to the M-Card, but the bus card readers will distinguish it as different.
The M-Card is a card device that takes a dollar value, this value is deducted every time it is used to ride an MCTS bus. Money must be put on this card to make it valid to use.
Q: When can I start using my UPASS?
A: As soon as you get it. Pick it up before the first day of class and start using it and saving money right away, or pick it up anytime during the semester at the Transportation Services office.
Q: Is the UPASS only good for my trips to UWM
A: No. You can use your UPASS to travel for any purpose to any destination on any Milwaukee County Transit System. Use it any time buses operate on any day, including weekends, holidays, and even during UWM breaks and recess periods.
Q:I have a disability which makes it difficult to use a regular bus. How does UPASS help me?
A: If you are eligible to participate in the Milwaukee County Transit Plus Program, your UPASS can be used to waive the initial Transit Plus portion of the fare for each trip you take.To find out more about this benefit call 414-278-4091.
Q: Why was the UPASS created?
A: UWM, like virtually all urban universities in the country, has problems finding space for everyone to park. The UPASS offers you a great opportunity to use your car less, especially for routine trips to work, class, shopping, entertainment, etc. and eliminate parking problems. By doing so, you are guaranteed to save lots of money you would otherwise spend maintaining and operating your car, help the environment, and reduce parking and traffic related stress.
Q: Who pays for this?
A: Everyone who takes a class on the UWM campus pays to support the UPASS program. It is included as part of fees–just like other services on campus such as the Klotsche Center, Campus Day Care, UPARK shuttles, Student Health Center, etc. The remaining per student cost is offset by Parking & Transit Department and a bulk purchase discount.
Q:If I commute, how does the UPASS benefit me?
A: The UPASS offer of free transportation whenever and to wherever you want to go will be a benefit and a money saving value that many students who drive a car will find to be a value for things unrelated to commuting to and from classes. Even if you never use your UPASS, you will still benefit from the program because there will be fewer students driving their cars to campus and competing with you for a campus parking space.
Q: How do I get my UPASS?
A: The UPASS is available for pick-up at the Transportation Services Office one weeks before classes begin each semester — including Summer sessions, and continues to be available through the last day of exams each semester. You will need to have your valid student ID at the time of pick up.
Q: Who can I call for information?
A: Call the Milwaukee County Transit System at 414-344-6711 or UWM Transportation Services at 414-229-4000 to ask for route and schedule information or to find the bus service most convenient for you.
Q: How much can I save?
A: You can save hundreds of dollars in reduced gas costs, maintenance costs, wear and tear on your car, and the hassle of driving in rush hour traffic and searching for a legal parking space. If you are considering living a distance from campus, you may want to consider a rental property along a bus route with service to UWM.
Q: Who can get the UWM UPASS?
A: Only UWM students taking at least one course for credit on the Kenwood campus.
Q: Is UPASS a better deal than driving my car to campus?
A: Absolutely. UPASS is one University service where the more you use your UPASS, the more your commuting expenses are reduced.
Q: If I don’t live in Milwaukee County how will the UPASS help me?
A: In order to serve commuters from all over SE Wisconsin, the MCTS operates remote freeway flyers from Park & Ride lots across the county. You can park free and take the freeway flyer bus free all the way to UWM. Route schedules and Transit Guides are available at the UWM Transportation Services, or call 414-229-4000 for help in locating the Park & Ride closest to where you live.
Q: Can I drive to and park along bus routes?
A: Certainly. You can drive your car part way to campus, park in an all day parking spot right near a bus stop on any of several direct bus routes to UWM, and then, ride the bus free the rest of the way.
Q: Can I add money to my UPASS? (since it will be turned off during the summer if I am not taking classes)
A: Adding money to your UPASS will make it invalid as a UPASS once the next semester starts. This will require a replacement UPASS to be purchased. If you need access to the MCTS bus system while your UPASS is not active, it is recommended that you purchase an M-Card for that purpose.

The UWM Student Association offers BOSS to students as a van transportation service around the campus neighborhood. This service is free for UWM students. Visit the B.O.S.S. website for more information.

Ride Sharing


Americans commute on average an hour roundtrip to work every day. What would you do with an extra hour in your day? There is an easy solution. Post your commute and find others who can share the ride and begin reducing your stress and increasing your productivity today!

Visit our Eco Friendly page or click Here to learn more.

Prowl Line (Campus Shuttle / Upark)
Anyone with a valid Panthercard can ride the Prowl Line.

Download the app for live shuttle information: iOs App / Android App

The average shuttle ride is 10 minutes, although it can be shorter or longer depending on traffic and weather. All shuttle passengers are expect to act in accordance with the University Housing Rules & Regulations.

What is UPARK?
UPARK is a satellite parking lot at Capitol-Humboldt and shuttle bus system developed to address the parking needs of commuting students, faculty and staff. On-campus parking is extremely limited, and parking on the streets surrounding UWM is also difficult because of restrictions which limit long-term parking in the largely residential neighborhood.

Who can use UPARK?
It is open to students, faculty and staff. Capitol-Humboldt provides parking and a bus ride to campus with a displayed campus ID. The cost for a permit for students taking classes on campus is free. For Faculty and Staff the cost is $35.81 via payroll deduction. The permit may be purchased online at Transportation Services Online Portal.

How often do the buses run?
Buses operate at about 10-13 minute intervals and have two on-campus stops for drop offs and two different stops for pick ups. While the bus heads from the UPARK to the UWM Kenwood Campus, it will drop off at Cunningham and the UWM Library prior to heading to Kenilworth, Cambridge and RiverView. When head Northbound from RiverView, Cambridge, and Kenilworth to the UWM Kenwood Campus it will pick up at the UWM Student Union (on Maryland) and Sandburg Residence Hall before heading to the UPARK.

What’s it cost, and how long can you park?
  • Students

    The Prowl Line is free to students. Students will need to display their PantherCard to the campus shuttle driver while boarding. Parking at the UPARK is FREE for students paying segregated fees*. A permit will need to purchased online though from the Transportation Services Online Portal. The permit is available only online and connects your license plate virtually to the permit. No hang tag or sticker will be necessary to park, and users may add or remove vehicles from their permit on the same online portal.

  • Faculty and Staff

    The campus shuttle is free to faculty and staff. Faculty and staff will need to display their PantherCard or ID badge to the campus shuttle driver while boarding. Parking at the Capitol-Humboldt lot is now $35.81 per semester for faculty and staff via payroll deduction for a semester permit. A permit may be purchased online at Transportation Services online portal. The permit is available only through payroll deduction and connects your license plate virtually to the permit. No hang tag or sticker will be necessary to park, and users may add or remove vehicles from their permit on the same online portal.

  • Other Users

    All other users of the UPARK parking lot may purchase a $2.00 calendar day permit at a pay station present at the lot.

*Segregated fees are an additional fee outside of tuition that is used for various activities on campus. Students taking a course on campus traditionally pay segregated fees. Students auditing courses are taking only online courses do not pay segregated fees and will be able to purchase the permit made available for Faculty and Staff at the Transportation Services Online Portal.

All users of the UPARK lot may park continuously through the day, but the campus shuttle will discontinue servicing the lot after 9:00 PM Monday through Thursday and at 6:00 PM on Friday while classes are in session. No vehicles may remain overnight and there is no parking in the Capitol-Humboldt lot between 2-5 a.m.

When is UPARK available?
Shuttle bus service is available daily Monday through Friday during regular class and final exam days of the Fall and Spring semesters.

Buses are scheduled to begin operation at about 5:30 a.m. at Capitol-Humboldt and continue operating until 9 p.m. during the Fall and Spring semesters Monday through Thursday. On Friday’s the Prowl Line will stop servicing the Capitol and Humboldt UPARK at 6:00 p.m.

If I need help…?
A UPARK attendant is on duty at the lot and is available to assist you.

Where is the lot?
The location is northwest of campus. It is north on N. Humboldt Blvd. past the intersection of E. Capitol Dr. and N. Humboldt Blvd. Click here for a map showing the location of the UPARK lot. UPARK Google Map.

You can also see the location of the lot and relevent shuttle routes on our Interactive Parking Map.

Map and Schedule

Off-Campus Shuttles

Off-Campus Shuttle Hours of Operation:

7:00 AM – 6:00 PM Monday – Friday during the Fall and Spring academic period.
7:00 AM – 7:00 PM Monday – Friday during the Summer and Winter academic period.

To request a ride, use TapRide (available for free download at the Apple Store and Google Play) or call (414) 229–7431.

The Off-Campus Shuttle will go to the following locations during the Fall and Spring academic periods:

  • Zilber School of Public Health
  • School of Freshwater Sciences
  • The Water Council (Global Water Center)
  • University Services and Research Building (USRB)
  • Innovation Campus*

The Off-Campus Shuttle will go to the following locations during the Winter and Summer academic periods:

  • University Services and Research Building (USRB)
  • Innovation Campus*

*Rides to and from Innovation Campus will occur only upon request and at the following times:

Depart UWM at 8 am/Depart Innovation at 8:30 am
Depart UWM at 12 pm/Depart Innovation at 12:30 pm
Depart UWM at 4 pm/Depart Innovation at 4:30 pm