Your PantherCard is your student ID card. It gives you access to UWM resources.

Getting Your PantherCard
New Freshman receive their card at New Freshman Orientation, and the cost of the card is included in their New Freshman Fee.

Transfer Students pay a New Transfer Fee which includes their card cost.

All other students can purchase a card in the PantherCard Office for $15. The PantherCard Office in Union 143 is open Monday through Friday (except holidays) during the following hours:

Academic Year (September until late-May): 8:00am – 4:30pm

Summer (late-May through August): 10:00am – 4:00pm

Where to Use Your PantherCard
For safety reasons, you should always have your PantherCard with you while you’re on campus. It’s the easiest way to identify yourself as a student. You also need it to access these and other services:

The UPASS/M-Card: Your UWM Bus Pass
The UPASS/M-Card is a card device that allows you to ride any Milwaukee County Transit System bus for the entire semester at no charge. You must show a current PantherCard along with your UPASS/M-Card. Any UWM student who is taking at least one for-credit course on the main Kenwood campus is able to get a UPASS/M-Card.

The UPASS/M-Card can be picked up in the Transportation Services office up to one week before the start of a semester. If you lose your UPASS/M-Card, you can get a replacement in the Parking and Transit Office for a $15 fee.  However, students are only eligible for one replacement.

Visit the UPASS Frequently Asked Questions page or contact Transportation Services for more information.

Charging Items to Your PantherCard
Instead of using cash on campus, you have the option to activate a debit account, called a Gold Account, on your PantherCard. Students may use your activated account to make tax-free food purchases at restaurants in the Student Union and various buildings on campus.  In addition, you may use your Gold Account to purchase taxable goods and services in the Union building including the Panther Shop, all housing facilities and the SARUP lab.

To activate a Gold Account, visit the PantherCard Office in the Union to complete the PantherCard Gold Account Contract and deposit an initial balance. Reload the card balance at the PantherCard Office, or online through GetFunds.

A Resident Account is only available to students living in the dorms. The account is active on their PantherCard for the Resident Meal Plan. You can load money on your Resident Account for Meal Plan Charges using the kiosks in the residence halls or online through GetFunds.

Lost or Stolen PantherCards
If your PantherCard is lost or stolen and you have an active PantherCard account, contact the PantherCard Office immediately to deactivate the card.

You can purchase a replacement PantherCard in the Union for a $15 fee. If you had a UPASS sticker on your card, you can buy a replacement sticker in Transportation Services for an additional $45 fee.

If you don’t have a PantherCard and just need your 9-digit Student ID number, you can use the Campus ID Finder to have your 9-digit Student ID number sent to your UWM Email Address.

PantherCards for Online & Distance Students
PantherCards without a photo are available for 100% online students (students who never come to campus). If at some point you transition to classes on campus, update your card in the PantherCard Office so that you can access campus services.

To order a PantherCard without a photo, send an email to, including your full legal name, month and date of birth, and 9-digit Student ID number. The $15 order fee will be posted to your PAWS account, and the card will be sent to your PAWS mailing address.

Student Voter ID Card
Wisconsin voters need to present an acceptable form of photo identification at their polling place in order to be able to vote.  Most UW-Milwaukee students already have an acceptable photo ID, which may be any of the following:

  • A valid Wisconsin driver license or identification card
  • Military ID
  • A U.S. passport
  • A certificate of naturalization issued not earlier than two years before the date of the election at which it is presented
  • An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin

Additional information on valid forms of voter ID can be found on the Bring It to the Ballot website published by the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board.

If you are a currently enrolled UWM student but do not already have one of the acceptable forms of photo ID and plan to cast your ballot in Wisconsin, you can receive a Student Voter ID card that is compliant with the Voter ID law. The Student Voter ID card is separate from your PantherCard. Please note that the PantherCard does not fulfill the requirements of the law and will not be accepted for voting purposes.

The Student Voter ID card is available to current students who need one at no cost in the PantherCard Office, Union 143.

In conjunction with the Student Voter ID card, you will be required to present a Voter ID Enrollment Letter as proof of current enrollment and residency.  You can access a printable version of the letter at any time by clicking on the Voter ID Enrollment Letter link under the Personal Information header on your PAWS account.  The Voter ID Enrollment Letter also can be used to prove residency in conjunction with another form of voter ID.

Go to the UW System Student Voting page for additional info on voting as a student.

Go to the My Vote Wisconsin page to determine if you’re registered to vote and identify your polling location.