Your transcript is your UWM course record. It includes the number and title of your courses, the term you took them, your letter grade and the grade points you received.

If you are enrolled as a graduate student, review Graduate School Transcript Information online anytime.

General Transcript Information
Official transcripts are printed on official paper and embossed with the UWM seal. When an employer or school requests your transcripts, they usually want your official transcripts. If you request that your official transcript be sent to you directly, it will be stamped “Issued to Student.” Some institutions won’t accept a transcript that is “Issued to Student,” so plan your order ahead of time.

Unofficial transcripts are mainly for your own use.

Some holds may prevent the release of your transcript. Check the Holds section in your PAWS Student Center to identify any holds and click the details link for instructions on removing any holds.

Transcript requests are processed in the Registrar’s Office and are generally mailed within 2 business days of your request. If you paid for expedited delivery, your request will be completed within one business day. Expedited delivery can’t be made to a PO Box, and isn’t available on weekends or holidays.

Order Your Official Transcript Online
You can order your Official Undergraduate or Graduate Transcript online for $10.00 per copy.

UW-Milwaukee uses a secure third-party vendor, Credentials Solutions, to process online transcript request orders.  The request site is available 24/7 for students and alumni, and often your official transcript can be sent via secure email in PDF format to save time and energy.  After your request is submitted, you can receive order status updates through email or text messaging.

Order Official Undergraduate Transcript Online

Order Official Graduate School Transcript Online

Order Your Official Transcript In-Person or by Mail
Official Undergraduate Transcripts are available on demand in the Registrar’s Office. You will need to bring $10.00 and a photo ID, and you can’t have any holds on your PAWS account that prevent the release of transcripts.  Any officials transcripts that you take with you will be stamped “Issued to Student.”

You can also request your Official Undergraduate Transcripts by mail or fax for $10.00 per copy:

  • Print out and complete the Undergraduate Transcript Request Form
  • You have the option to expedite delivery using UPS for an additional $13.00 (you need to include the delivery street address, no PO Boxes allowed)
  • Mail or Fax your completed form to the Registrar’s Office
    ATTN: Undergraduate Transcript Processing
  • Call (414) 229-3800 (touch 1, then 7) to provide your payment information over the phone and confirm your fax
  • Transcripts that you receive yourself will be stamped “Issued to Student”
Official Undergraduate Transcript Legend

To be official, the undergraduate transcript must include the seal and signature of the University Registrar.

Questions concerning the undergraduate transcript may be sent to the UWM Registrar’s Office.

NOTE: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides that the undergraduate transcript is not to be released to any person or agency without written consent of the student.

University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee History
The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee was formed September 1, 1956, from the merger of the Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee, and the University of Wisconsin Extension Division in Milwaukee.  The Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee, was also known as the Milwaukee Normal School (1885-1927) and as the Milwaukee State Teachers College (1927-1951).   The Wisconsin State College and its predecessor institution offered some graduate programs in education.

Through Semester 1/1971-72, the policy of the University of Wisconsin System was to maintain one academic record card for each student.  If a student attended more than one campus within the University of Wisconsin System, the coursework from all campuses was recorded on one record card.  Therefore, if the undergraduate transcript contains academic work prior to Semester 2/1971-72, from UW-Madison, UW-Green Bay, UW-Parkside, the UW-Centers or UW-Extension, it is the official transcript of that coursework.  Beginning with Semester 2/1971-72, each campus maintains a separate record card for each student.

Explanation of Grading System
A 4.00 grading system (A = 4.00) is used.  Prior to 1954-55 academic year, a 3.00 (A = 3.00) system was used.  The grading system utilizing plus (+) and minus (-) symbols was instituted Semester 1/1975-76.  All credits are semester hour credits.  Semester 1 is the fall term (September-December), Semester 2 is the spring term (January-May), Semester 3 is the Summer Sessions (May-August).  As of Semester 3/1983-84, if a course meets for less than a full semester/session, the meeting dates will be indicated.

Academic Actions
Academic actions (probation, dropped, etc.) have been records on the face of the undergraduate transcript during certain periods:

Milwaukee Normal School (1885-1927)
Milwaukee State Teachers College (1927-1951)
Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee (1951-1956)
UW-Milwaukee (1964-1971)

The action “Dean’s Honor List” has been posted on the face of transcripts, 1956-present.

Course Numbering System
The numbering system listed below is a general guide.  There may be some exceptions.

Course Number Description Notes
001-299 Undergraduate courses, introductory level. Not offered for graduate-level credit.
300-699 Undergraduate courses, intermediate to advanced level. May be approved for graduate-level credit.
700-999 Graduate level. Graduate standing is generally required for enrollment.

Year Code Definitions Prior to 2002

Code    Definition
1          Freshman
2          Sophomore
3          Junior
4          Senior
8          High School Special (non-degree)
9          Special Student undergraduate (non-degree)

Grades and Grade Points

Grade Description Grade Points Notes
A Excellent 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B Good 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C Fair 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D Poor 1.00
D- 0.67
F+ 0.00 Used prior to 2004 only.
F Fail 0.00
CREDIT Credit for credit/no credit enrollment only N/A Counts toward degree – does not count in GPA.
CR Credit for credit/no credit enrollment only N/A Counts toward degree – does not count in GPA.  Effective March, 2002.
DR Dropped with permission of dean N/A
E Fail N/A Used prior to 1998 only.
EI Extended Incomplete N/A
I Incomplete N/A
K Pass N/A Counts toward degree – does not count in GPA.  Used prior to 1998 only.
NR No report submitted N/A
P Progress N/A
PR Progress N/A UW Flexible Option only.
PI Permanent Incomplete N/A
S Satisfactory N/A
U Unsatisfactory N/A
W Withdrawn N/A Course dropped after 4th week of semester or after first quarter of shorter session.
WR Administrative drop N/A Enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats.
X Excused N/A Used prior to 1965 only.
Z Unofficial Drop N/A Used 1969-1971.  No grade reported.
DE, EX, M N/A Used prior to 1965.
NC Not completed (in audited course) or no credit (in C/NC course) N/A
#W Administrative drop N/A Enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats.  Effective March, 2002.

 UWM Enrollment Abbreviations and Symbols

Abbreviation/Symbol Description Notes
A Audit (no credit)
C Credit/No Credit
(D) Cultural Diversity course
H Honors Honors courses with grades of less than B- do not meet Honors Program requirements.
N Noncredit
P/F Pass/Fail
R Repeated course – counts in the semester and cumulative GPA totals if course carries credit
# Repeated course – does not count in the semester or cumulative GPA totals
@ Lapsed Incomplete
X Flexible Option Competency Set Appended to course number.

Transfer Credit Abbreviations and Symbols 

Abbreviation/Symbol Description Notes
> Credits do not count toward degree
+ Does not count in GPA
XXX Lower-level elective Before 2002
X Lower-level elective 2002-Present
XXN Lower-level elective – does not count toward student’s major Before 2002
XXXXZ Lower-level elective – does not count toward student’s major 2002-Present
3XX Upper-level elective Before 2002
U Upper-level elective 2002-Present
3XN Upper-level elective – does not count toward student’s major Before 2002
UXXXZ Upper-level elective – does not count toward student’s major 2002-Present
Request Unofficial Transcript
Former Students

If you currently don’t have PAWS access or an active UWM Email Address, you can make one free hard copy Unofficial Undergraduate Transcript Request per semester by mail, fax, or in person at the Registrar’s Office. Unofficial transcripts only will be issued to the student.

Current Students
With an active UWM Email Address, you can request up to one free electronic copy of your Unofficial Undergraduate or Graduate Transcript per day in PAWS:

  1. Log in to PAWS
  2. Under the yellow Academics header, click in the drop down menu and select Transcript: View Unofficial, then click the yellow arrow button
  3. Select the Undergraduate or Graduate Transcript and default Output Destination Type (email), then click the Submit Transcript Request button
  4. A PDF copy will be delivered to your UWM Email Address immediately
Transfer Credit
Transfer Credit from another college appears on your transcript copies with a UWM Equivalent course. Your grades from other institutions aren’t calculated into your UWM Grade Point Average.

You can browse the UWM Transfer Guide or contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.


Grades are posted in PAWS at the end of each term. Allow two weeks after the last day of finals for your complete grade report to post.

The Graduate School’s Academic Policies & Procedures includes grading information.

View Your Grades
You can review your grade history in PAWS anytime:

  1. Log in to PAWS
  2. Under the yellow Academics header, click in the drop down menu and select Grades, then click the yellow arrow button
  3. Select the term you want to view
  4. The Class Grades table will show your letter grade and grade points
  5. Click the blue Class Name to bring up the Class Details screen as it originally appeared in PAWS
  6. The Term Statistics table will show your term and cumulative Grade Point Averages
GPA & Grading Policy
You can review the UWM Grading Policy online anytime.

Grade Points are based off of the UWM letter grade scale. Each letter grade (A, A-, B+) equals a number of grade points, where “A” is the highest and equals 4 grade points. If you earned an “A” in a 3-credit course, you’ve earned 12 Grade Points: A = 4 grade points times 3 credits.

Your Grade Point Average, or GPA, is the total number of grade points you’ve earned divided by the number of credits you’ve taken. Your Cumulative GPA averages every Grade Point you’ve earned. Your Term GPA only averages one semester, summer, or winter’s worth of Grade Points.

Use the online GPA Calculator or ask your Academic Advisor for help.

Repeating Courses
You might consider repeating a class if you received a poor grade and want to improve your Grade Point Average. Repeats can affect your financial aid eligibility, so you may want to check with the Financial Aid Office first.

Undergraduates can repeat any course one time. You need permission from your School or College to repeat a second time. The highest grade will be used for your GPA, but each attempt will show up on your transcript. Contact your Academic Advisor if you are considering repeating a course.

Graduate students should work with their Academic Program when considering a repeat course.

'F' Grades and Incompletes
If you fail a course, you don’t receive any Grade Points. One “F” can greatly lower your GPA. “F” grades can range from 0 to 16 for the number of weeks out of 16 you completed. An “F0” would mean you didn’t attend any classes, and an “F16” would mean you completed all 16 weeks of the class and earned an “F.”

Incompletes are given when you have made it through most of a class, but for some reason beyond your control you weren’t able to finish. Incompletes are only granted by the course instructor and only for a proven, significant reason. Your temporary grade is “Incomplete.” You have until the end of the following fall or spring term to complete the work or receive an “F.”

If you’re in danger of earning an “F,” work with your course instructor and Academic Advisor to see what options you have.

GPA: 3.0 – 4.0

With a Grade Point Average above a 3.0 you can earn special honors, participate in rewarding involvement opportunities, and apply for high performance scholarships.

Ask your Academic Advisor what opportunities you have with a high GPA in your major.

Honors Designations
You can review the complete list of Honors online in the Undergraduate Catalog. Your School or College may also award Dean’s Honors, Departmental Honors, or Honors in the Major.

Your Academic Advisor can help you navigate the various Honors and let you know what you might be eligible for.

Designation Requirements
Sophomore Honors
  • Undergraduates with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the end of sophomore year
  • At least 24 graded credits completed at UWM
Commencement Honors
  • Undergraduates with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the end of senior year
  • At least 40 degree credits completed at UWM
Final Honors
  • Undergraduates with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the end of senior year
  • At least 60 degree credits completed at UWM
The Honors College
The Honors College offers a competitive program and challenging educational opportunity. The Honors College degree is the highest undergraduate degree issued from UWM. Contact the Honors College for admission requirements and program details.

Designation Requirements
Honors College Degree
  • Must be a graduate of the Honors College
  • Complete 21 credits (minimum) in Honors College coursework
  • A cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher by the end of senior year
Honors College Degree with Distinction
  • Must meet Honors College Degree requirements
  • Incorporate 6 credits of Research in Honors, a Senior Honors Thesis, or a Senior Honors Project as part of 21 credits of Honors College coursework
Involvement Opportunities
Students who involve themselves in co-curricular activities, like being a student organization member or volunteering, are shown to do better in school. Your high Grade Point Average can also make more opportunities available to you. Ask your Academic Advisor to recommend a program, or contact Student Involvement and the Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership and Research for more information.

Opportunity Details
National Honor Societies Joining a National Honor Society is a great way to market your achievements and grow your network. A complete list of active UWM Honor Societies is available on PantherSync. You may have to pay for membership dues to join a NHS.
Campus Ambassadors Campus Ambassadors welcome and introduce new students to UWM and help continuing students succeed. Apply to the CA program to serve as an orientation leader, peer mentor, or tour guide.
Undergraduate Research The Office of Undergraduate Research can connect you with opportunities to further explore a topic in your field of study. You might even be requested to publish or present your findings.
Achievement Scholarships
In addition to honors and involvement opportunities, you may be qualified for scholarships that are awarded to high-achieving students.

The Financial Aid Office’s scholarship page provides listings specifically for UWM and each School or College. The page also includes free public scholarship searches to give you many options for applying.

You can ask your Academic Advisor if there are any scholarship opportunities specific to your major or field of study that are open to students with a high Grade Point Average.

GPA: 2.0 or less

The standard minimum Grade Point Average for a UWM undergraduate is 2.0, which is equal to a “C” grade. The standard is based on your Cumulative (total) Grade Point Average.

Graduate Students must maintain a 3.0 or better. Contact the Graduate School for more information.

Academic Probation
You can review the complete Academic Action Policy online anytime.

If your Cumulative GPA drops below 2.0, you will be placed on Academic Probation.

  • As long as your GPA for any term is above 2.0 while on Academic Probation, you can continue to take classes
  • Once your Cumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or higher, you’ll clear Academic Probation
  • If your GPA for any term is below 2.0 while on Academic Probation, you’ll be dropped for a semester
  • An Academic Drop will appear on your Unofficial Transcript and you must complete a re-entry form with permission from your School or College

If you have questions about Probation or are concerned about being dropped, contact your Academic Advisor for assistance.

Final Probation
If you’re dropped for one semester and allowed to come back, you’ll be on Final Probation.

  • As long as your GPA for any term is above 2.0 while on Final Probation, you can continue to take classes
  • Once your Cumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or higher, you’ll clear Final Probation
  • If your GPA for any term is below 2.0 while on Final Probation, you’ll be dropped for 2 years
  • An Academic Drop will appear on your Unofficial Transcript and you must complete a re-entry form with permission from your School or College
Get Help!
If your GPA is falling or if you are in danger of being placed on Academic Probation, talk to your Academic Advisor for advice on bringing up your grades. If you struggle with an individual course, talk to your instructor and ask what you can do to improve your grade.

For students who didn’t initially perform well academically and who left UWM years ago without earning a degree, the Academic Forgiveness Policy may provide a second opportunity for successful university study.