Transferring Non-Coursework Credit

In addition to credit for courses you’ve completed at other schools, you can also receive transfer credit for previous education or training, or by testing on your current knowledge.

CLEP: College Level Examination Program
The College Level Examination Program is an excellent option for students who have gained knowledge independently or through a non-accredited institution. By participating in CLEP, students can take exams administered right here at UWM that demonstrate their proficiency in a given subject. College credit is then awarded for satisfactory scores.

Visit the UWM Testing Center for more information on CLEP, including what exams are offered, how much credit is awarded, exam costs and scheduling information.

AP: Advanced Placement
Advanced Placement credit is earned for college level courses you may have taken in high school. The credit received is dependent on the score you earned in the class, and you must apply to UWM as a degree-seeking student. You can view the predetermined credit values here.

The AP program is managed by the College Board and support and administration is provided by the high school guidance office.

  1. AP Exams are taken in May
  2. Students submit their scores to UWM by logging into the College Board website using school code #1473
  3. After applying to UWM, students can contact Admissions to verify that their scores have been received
  4. Scores must be reported to UWM from the College Board and not from a high school transcript
IB: International Baccalaureate
Students who attend schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization can earn UWM credits by participating in the IB curriculum. Final exam scores of 4, 5, 6 or 7 on Higher Level (HL) and Standard Level (SL) exams can earn a credit award dependent on the score received.

IB exam scores must be submitted by the IBO for credit consideration. Contact the IBO or your IBO authorized secondary school for more information.

Retroactive Credit for Foreign Languages
If you test into an advanced level language course, you may be able to receive retroactive credit for the bypassed language classes. The determination is made by your language department after you’ve completed your advanced level language course.

  1. Take your Foreign Language Placement Test in the UWM Testing Center
  2. You must place into an advanced level course
  3. You must pass your advanced level course(s) with a B grade or better
  4. Credits are only given in conjunction with the first language course taken at UWM
  5. Credits are awarded retroactively in the following sequence for a maximum of 14 credits:
    • 1st semester = 4 credits
    • 2nd semester = 4 credits
    • 3rd semester = 3 credits
    • 4th semester = 3 credits

You can review information on French, German, Spanish, or other languages, or you can talk to your academic advisor for more information.

Credit for Military Coursework and Training
As of September 1st, 2014, qualifying veterans and military personnel may be awarded up to 12 UWM credits (maximum) for military instruction that appears on the official military transcript. Credits are awarded based on ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations.

  • For Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard, submit official JST (Joint Services Transcript) to UWM
  • For Air Force, submit official CCAF (Community College of the Air Force) Transcript to UWM
  • Students who submitted an official military transcript prior to September 2014 can request a re-evaluation of credit from the Registrar’s Office via the online contact form (select “Transfer Credit” and include your Campus ID Number)

Additional credits may be awarded to students whose credits are applicable to their program, depending on credit evaluation. Contact your Academic Advisor for more information.

Defense Language Institute FLC
Students may be able to transfer up to 14 credits of DLIFLC credit to UWM. Credit is not awarded for applied or functional language courses. For more information, visit the DLIFLC website.

Forms of Credit Not Accepted
  • DANTES Standardized Subject Tests (DSST)
  • Military Occupational Studies (MOS)