Transfer Credit

Transferring Course Credits

Transferring credits you’ve earned from another school to UWM should be seamless and simple. Review this information to take the guess work out of your transfer.

Whether or not you’re currently enrolled at another school, it’s important to work closely with your Academic Advisor at UWM to make the most of classes you’ve already taken and are planning your remaining coursework accordingly.

Transfer Credit Policy
To transfer credits from another school to UWM, you must submit an Official Transcript from all institutions you want to have credits transferred from. These documents are used to determine how many credits and program courses you have completed as you continue your study at UWM.

You can review the complete University of Wisconsin Transfer Policy online.

Transferable Coursework
  • Typically, transfer credit is only awarded for college-level and undergraduate coursework
  • Courses that are part of continuing education or graduate level programs and those that are remedial, technical, vocational or doctrinal are not transferable
  • Previous institutions from which you may transfer credit must be accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation)
Credit Hours
  • Semester term credits are transferred on a one-to-one basis
  • Quarter term credits are transferred on a two-thirds-to-one basis: A student who has taken 30 transferrable credits at a quarter-system institution will have 20 semester hours transfer to UWM.
Maximum Credit Transfers
  • A maximum of 72 semester credits from 2-year institutions can be applied to your total UWM degree credits
  • There is no maximum of semester credits that can be transferred from a four-year university
  • Grades you received for credits that are transferred from other institutions are not calculated in your GPA at UWM
  • Previous grades and GPA may be used in your program’s admission decision
  • If you repeat UWM coursework at another institution and later return to UWM, the grade you earned at UWM will be used to calculate your GPA
Equivalencies & Electives
  • Incoming courses may transfer as UWM course equivalents or electives
  • Electives have course descriptions that do not resemble UWM courses directly, but will receive elective credit within a curricular area and are signified by letters instead of a course number (e.g., HISTORY X)
  • Elective credits count toward degree credit totals and may be used in fulfilling degree requirements pending permission from the academic program
Degree & Residency Requirements
  • Transfer credit can satisfy degree requirements although the academic program may need to approve the use of elective credits
  • Each program requires a certain number of credits to be earned in residence at UWM, and some programs include transfer credit GPA in determining if requirements are satisfied
  • Always consult your Academic Advisor on specific requirements to ensure you are on the right track
Look Up Course Equivalencies
Course equivalency results using these and other tools are considered unofficial, but will offer a solid guideline as to what may be transferrable to UWM. Official transfer credit is only awarded after the completion of the credit evaluation process following admission.

TED: Transfer Equivalency Database
The UWM Transfer Equivalency Database (TED) allows a student to select their institution, subject, and course numbers to determine if a UWM course match exists

Go to the Transfer Equivalency Database

UW System Transfer Wizards
The UW System Transfer Wizards allow you to look up University of Wisconsin and Wisconsin Technical College course equivalencies on a “To-From” basis

Go to the UW System Transfer Wizards

Articulation Agreements and Transfer Guides
Students interested in beginning their degree program at a UW-College or Wisconsin Technical College can use the following guides to review their options.

Document Definitions
Transfer Guide An outline of program requirements, transferable credits and recommendations
Transfer Equivalency Worksheet An easy to use, fill-in-the-blank form for transfers in progress
Articulation Agreement A specific program-to-program transfer agreement contract with established conditions


Multi-Institution Agreements
Program Documents
Collaborative Nursing Program
(Wisconsin Technical College System)
Community Education
Early Childhood Education
(Wisconsin Technical College System)
Information Studies
(Most 2-Year Institutions)
UW/WTCS Universal Credit Transfer Agreement
UW College Connections
UW-Colleges to UWM
Program Documents
Art & Design
Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical Sciences – Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Civil Engineering
Communication Sciences & Disorders
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Criminal Justice
Electrical Engineering
Health Care Administration
Industrial Engineering
Information Science & Technology
Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college between 2008 – Fall 2013)
Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college Fall 2013 or later)
Materials Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Nutritional Sciences
Occupational Studies
Social Work
Milwaukee Area Technical College to UWM
Program Documents
Architectural Studies
Criminal Justice
Design Studies
Graphic Design
Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college between 2008 – Fall 2013)
Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college Fall 2013 or later)
Medical Laboratory Sciences
Social Work


Waukesha County Technical College to UWM
Program Documents
Computer Science
Criminal Justice
Design Studies
  • A.A.S. in Early Childhood Education to B.S. in Education with Early Childhood Education Teacher Certification
Electrical Engineering
General Engineering
Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college between 2008 – Fall 2013)
Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college Fall 2013 or later)
Mechanical Engineering
Social Work


Other Area Schools to UWM
Madison Area Technical College
Architectural Studies
Criminal Justice
Social Work
Northcentral Technical College
American Sign Language
Architectural Studies
Fox Valley Technical College
Occupational Studies
College of DuPage (IL)
Architectural Studies
College of Lake County (IL)
McHenry County College (IL)
William Rainey Harper College (IL)
Transfer Credit Evaluation Process
Transfer Credit Evaluation Specialists will always try to award you with as much transfer credit as possible.

  1. Once you have been admitted to UWM, your Official Transcript data is submitted to the Registrar’s Office
  2. The Registrar’s Office Transfer Credit Evaluation Specialists review course descriptions from your other institutions and compare the content with courses offered by UWM
    • Courses are identified as either equivalencies or electives, or are not eligible for transfer
    • At this time, the Transfer Equivalency Database is maintained for new and existing course equivalencies
  3. The official results of the Registrar’s credit evaluation are posted to your PAWS account within 2-4 weeks of your date of admittance.
    • Log in to your PAWS account
    • Under the yellow Academics header, click into the drop down menu for Other Academic
    • Select the Transfer Credit Report and click the yellow arrow button
    • All transfer credit, including course credits and test credits, will be posted within the report
  4. Once your transfer credits are posted, begin planning for your first semester at UWM

Contact the Registrar’s Office via our online form at any time with questions.

Transferring Non-Coursework Credit

In addition to credit for courses you’ve completed at other schools, you can also receive transfer credit for previous education or training, or by testing on your current knowledge.

CLEP: College Level Examination Program
The College Level Examination Program is an excellent option for students who have gained knowledge independently or through a non-accredited institution. By participating in CLEP, students can take exams administered right here at UWM that demonstrate their proficiency in a given subject. College credit is then awarded for satisfactory scores.

Visit the UWM Testing Center for more information on CLEP, including what exams are offered, how much credit is awarded, exam costs and scheduling information.

AP: Advanced Placement
Advanced Placement credit is earned for college level courses you may have taken in high school. The credit received is dependent on the score you earned in the class, and you must apply to UWM as a degree-seeking student. You can view the predetermined credit values here.

The AP program is managed by the College Board and support and administration is provided by the high school guidance office.

  1. AP Exams are taken in May
  2. Students submit their scores to UWM by logging into the College Board website using school code #1473
  3. After applying to UWM, students can contact Admissions to verify that their scores have been received
  4. Scores must be reported to UWM from the College Board and not from a high school transcript
IB: International Baccalaureate
Students who attend schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization can earn UWM credits by participating in the IB curriculum. Final exam scores of 4, 5, 6 or 7 on Higher Level (HL) and Standard Level (SL) exams can earn a credit award dependent on the score received.

IB exam scores must be submitted by the IBO for credit consideration. Contact the IBO or your IBO authorized secondary school for more information.

Retroactive Credit for Foreign Languages
If you test into an advanced level language course, you may be able to receive retroactive credit for the bypassed language classes. The determination is made by your language department after you’ve completed your advanced level language course.

  1. Take your Foreign Language Placement Test in the UWM Testing Center
  2. You must place into an advanced level course
  3. You must pass your advanced level course(s) with a B grade or better
  4. Credits are only given in conjunction with the first language course taken at UWM
  5. Credits are awarded retroactively in the following sequence for a maximum of 14 credits:
    • 1st semester = 4 credits
    • 2nd semester = 4 credits
    • 3rd semester = 3 credits
    • 4th semester = 3 credits

You can review information on French, German, Spanish, or other languages, or you can talk to your academic advisor for more information.

Credit for Military Coursework and Training
As of September 1st, 2014, qualifying veterans and military personnel may be awarded up to 12 UWM credits (maximum) for military instruction that appears on the official military transcript. Credits are awarded based on ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations.

  • For Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard, submit official JST (Joint Services Transcript) to UWM
  • For Air Force, submit official CCAF (Community College of the Air Force) Transcript to UWM
  • Students who submitted an official military transcript prior to September 2014 can request a re-evaluation of credit from the Registrar’s Office via the online contact form (select “Transfer Credit” and include your Campus ID Number)

Additional credits may be awarded to students whose credits are applicable to their program, depending on credit evaluation. Contact your Academic Advisor for more information.

Defense Language Institute FLC
Students may be able to transfer up to 14 credits of DLIFLC credit to UWM. Credit is not awarded for applied or functional language courses. For more information, visit the DLIFLC website.
Forms of Credit Not Accepted
  • DANTES Standardized Subject Tests (DSST)
  • Military Occupational Studies (MOS)

Transfer Credit FAQ

Browse the FAQ below or use the contact form to ask your own question directly.

What steps do I need to take to transfer to UWM?
Visit the Admissions Office transfer page for a step by step breakdown of the transfer process, including application instructions, fees, and deadlines.
How do I know what classes will transfer?
Only the official results of your transfer credit evaluation will be posted to your UWM record. However, you can look up your courses ahead of time using the Transfer Equivalency Database (TED) to see what has been historically accepted. You can streamline the transfer process and avoid surprises by working with an academic advisor or student services professional.
How many credits can I transfer?
A maximum of 72 semester credits can be transferred from a single or combination of Associate’s Degree/2-year institutions. There is no maximum number of semester credits that can be transferred from a 4-year university. All UWM programs require that a certain number of credits be earned in residence, that is, a set number or sequence of courses must be taken at UWM.
Who makes the decision on my application?
After you’ve submitted your complete application, the Admissions Office will determine whether or not you are admissible to UWM. Once you’re admitted, the Registrar’s Office will complete an evaluation on your incoming transfer credit. You can only be admitted into your program by your respective school or college.
Do I have to pay the application processing fee?
All applicants must pay the application processing fee unless they (1) previously attended UWM as a degree candidate or (2) attended one of the thirteen 2-year campuses in the UW System.
When will my transfer credit post to my UWM record?
The official results of your transfer credit evaluation will post to your PAWS account 2-4 weeks from the date you were admitted to UWM.
Can I transfer credit besides other coursework?
In addition to transferring coursework from other schools, UWM also accepts the following forms of credit (some exceptions apply):

  • CLEP: College Level Examination Program
  • AP: Advanced Placement
  • IB: International Baccalaureate
  • Retroactive Credit for Foreign Language
  • Credit for Military Coursework and Training
  • Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center
Who can I contact if I have additional questions?