What is Happening?
To expedite the migration of email/calendar data from pantherLINK to Office 365, there will be a brief email and calendar holiday from Friday, July 25th at 12:01 a.m. to Monday, July 28th at 6:00 a.m. when Office 365 officially goes live. Take a look at the 10 Things To Do On Email Holiday to help get you through that Friday.
How Will it Happen?
Beginning Friday, July 25th at 12:01 a.m.,
- UWM students, faculty, and staff will be unable to access their University email and calendar until Monday, July 28th at 6:00 a.m.
- All new email and calendar appointments sent to @uwm.edu addresses will be routed to Office 365 instead of pantherLINK
- Users’ last 14 days of emails as well as all calendar and address book data will move to Office 365 during the holiday
As of Monday, July 28th at 6:00 a.m.,
- UWM students, faculty, and staff will be able to access their last 14 days of emails as well as all calendar and address book data from Office 365
- Remaining emails (i.e., those older than 15 days) and other account data will continue to migrate from pantherLINK to Office 365
- pantherLINK will be reconfigured to allow access to users’ older emails that have yet to migrate after Office 365 goes live as data continues to migrate to the new system
- All incoming emails will be routed to Office 365, new emails should be sent from Office 365, and all meetings should be scheduled using Office 365
Why is it Necessary?
The Office 365 Project Team has determined the email/calendar holiday provides the least disruptive, most technologically favorable time frame in which to transition the campus from pantherLINK to Office 365. This three-day holiday will allow technical staff to complete all necessary migration tasks and ensure the most effective data transfer before Office 365 launches on Monday, July 28th.
This plan was endorsed by both the UWM Chancellor’s Cabinet and Information Technology Policy Committee (ITPC).
How Can I Prepare?
The best thing you can do is download and follow the Office 365 Migration Checklists. These checklists are your go-to for steps to take before and after the migration.
You can also check out the Getting Prepared page for additional resources and information about Get Ready for Office 365 workshops. The Preview page displays some Office 365 preview screenshots. The Accessing Office 365 page describes the many ways we will be able to access Office 365 once it goes live and provides some general recommendations. Look around on this site and see what else you can find!
If you really like to stay ahead of the curve, drop by an Office 365 Demo/Q&A session (or stream one from the comfort of your office). See Office 365 and its most useful features in action and bring your questions about the migration with you!
If you have questions about the migration to Office 365, check out our Common Questions page. If your question is not listed, please contact the UWM Help Desk at 414-229-4040 (toll-free 877-381-3459) or GetTechHelp.uwm.edu.