Music Reference Tools
- Grove/Oxford Music Online*
- Oxford Music Online is the online gateway for access to the Oxford Dictionary of Music, Grove Music Online and the Oxford Companion to Music. PLEASE NOTE: The UWM Libraries has 8 simultaneous users for this service. If you cannot access the service please try again later.
- If you’d like some help getting acquainted with using Grove Online, here’s a terrific tutorial from the University of Iowa’s Rita Benton Music Library
- The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music Online*
- The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music Online is the first comprehensive online resource devoted to music research of all the world’s peoples.
- African American Music Reference*
- African American Music Reference includes text reference, biographies, chronologies, sheet music, images, lyrics, liner notes, and discographies which chronicle the diverse history and culture of the African American experience through music.
- Oxford English Dictionary*
- The Oxford English Dictionary is a guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, both present and past. It includes 2.5 million quotations from a wide range of international English language scores.
- MusRef – Digital Collections, Music Reference eBooks, Composer Websites, Music Internet Portals
- International Bibliography of Discographies – a project of the International Association of Sound and Audio Visual Archives.
- RIdIM – Repetoire Internationale d’Icongraphie Musicale. Over 2900 records of the representation of music in art.
- RISM – database of musical sources. Over 850,000 records, the majority of which are music manuscripts dating from before 1800.
UWM Library Guides
- Music Research Guides
- Research Areas
- Music Library Browsing Lists
*An ePanther ID and Password are required for off campus access to starred links