Archives Banner

Archives Transfers

In addition to managing and scheduling of active records, records management is also responsible for archival records, i.e. those records which have reached the end of their useful office life but which retain long-term administrative, reference, or historical value. The UWM Archives both accepts records for permanent archival retention and provides reference service and records retrieval for departments wishing to temporarily recall portions of their collection.

For transferring electronic records to the Archives, please see our Electronic Records Transfers Page.

What should I send to the Archives?

The UWM Archives seeks to preserve and maintain an accurate and complete historical record of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Almost every office and department on campus produces records of historical significance, here defined as any record that documents the decision-making process, sets or interprets policy, or provides evidence of a major activity.

The below list, based on general records schedules for UWM, is intended to provide campus offices with an idea of the kinds of records the Archives is most interested in. It is not meant to be inclusive. If you have a record series that you think should be preserved permanently, please let us know.

Subject Files: Otherwise known as “program files,” “office files,” or “departmental files,” these files may include correspondence, reports, memoranda and notes, publications, announcements, photographs, newspaper clippings, and other material related to particular subjects, projects, or correspondents.

As units create subject files in the course of business-related activities, the files naturally reflect the internal development and operation of office or departmental programs. Subject files constitute by far the bulk of the collections in the UWM Archives and are usually the richest records series from a researcher’s standpoint.

Meeting Minutes: Minutes and associated material from ad hoc, standing, departmental, and task force committees, as well as from governance bodies such as the Faculty Senate and Academic Staff Senate.

Minutes are great resources for researchers who wish to track discussions regarding legislation, reports, budgets, program and curriculum planning, and other key aspects of campus life.

Publications: Programs, newsletters, leaflets, newspapers, catalogs, programs, posters, brochures and booklets, bulletins, and press releases produced by the University and its associated offices and departments.

These publications provide an important look at how events and programs around campus were advertised, and often produce some of the most colorful and exciting archival material.

For more archival series, see the Common Archival Series page.

How do I transfer records to the archives?

Fill out the online Records Transfer Form to the best of your ability (please include a box-level or folder-level inventory if possible).The records officer will schedule a brief survey to verify that your records should be preserved in the Archives; assuming that everything checks out, the Archives will take those records for processing at that time with a signed Transfer and Inventory Form. Please follow the Procedures for Transferring Records to the Archives to best prepare your records for transfer, taking particular note of the boxing and foldering requirements. UWM Archives will not accept unboxed materials for transfer.

We reserve the right to weed material deemed to be not historically significant, unless the specific RRDA associated with that records series indicates otherwise. Under certain circumstances, offices may request to have weeded records returned to their offices.

Can I have access to my office’s records after they’ve been transferred to the Archives?

The UWM Archives allows offices with records in archival storage to temporarily request return of those records for reference or other use. Your office should appoint a “records courier” to arrange to pick up the requested records from the Archives reading room in Golda Meir Library W250A. Only that designated courier with proof of identification will be allowed to remove those records from the Archives. If you need to recall archival records for an extended period of time, please indicate such when you arrange the records retrieval.

UWM Archives policy only allows records to be released if the records officer has received a written request (e-mail or regular mail) from the office of origin.