UWM Pride Discovery Camp is designed to inspire LGBT+ high school students to embrace their multiple identities and gain a better understanding of marginalized identities through community building, activism, self-expression, and connections in the LGBT+ Communities. Pride Discovery Camp provides a unique camp experience that empowers and enriches students with confidence and leadership skills and encourages campers to realize their full potential.
By the end of the camp, participants will be able to…
- Identify and describe components of their own identities that give them power and privilege as citizens and leaders in our society.
- Discuss ways in which queer or ally leaders can work together collectively to build a sense of belonging and acceptance.
- Identify key resources and best practices for community building while acknowledging the multiple histories of the LGBT+ communities.
- To explore introspectively and to understand one’s own identities.
- Identify and work with a network of peers and build a strong sense of community and support.