The application process for scholarships for the Fall 2018 freshmen class is now open. The deadline to apply for this funding for the 2018-19 school year is 11:59:59 pm on December 10, 2017.
New Directions Scholarship
The New Directions program provides $3,500 for four to six exceptional full-time freshmen enrolling in an undergraduate degree program within the College of Letters and Science (L&S) beginning in Fall 2018. If you continue to meet the grade point and credit load requirements, your scholarship can be renewed for three additional years – meaning you will receive support for all four years of your undergraduate education up to $14,000 total.
You are strongly encouraged to apply if you have an unweighted high school GPA of 3.75 or higher AND an ACT score of 27 or higher (or equivalent score on the SAT). Recipients also will have a strong record of extracurricular activities and academic and personal achievement. Please emphasize your achievements both in and out of the classroom on your application.
Meadows Fund Scholarship
The Meadows Fund Scholarship is given to a full-time undergraduate who have been in the foster care system. Awards up to $2,500 are available and may be renewable depending on academic performance and available funds. This scholarship application is open to any major with demonstrated academic potential, as indicated by a GPA of 3.0 or above.
Weather Innovators Scholarship and Brewers Community Foundation Weather Innovators Scholarship
The Weather Innovators scholarship program is funded by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, the Lake Express Ferry, and the Brewers Community Foundation. The program awards multiple scholarships to new, full-time freshmen who intend to major in Atmospheric Science. The students selected will have demonstrated great potential for academic success and must have a minimum high school GPA of 3.0 and a minimum ACT composite score of 24. The Weather Innovators Scholarship is for $2,500 per academic year and may be renewable for 3 subsequent years as long as the student continues to meet the scholarship criteria. The Brewers Community Foundation Weather Innovators Scholarship is for $1,250 per academic year and may be renewable for 1 subsequent year as long as the student continues to meet the scholarship criteria.
Application Process for New Directions and Meadows Scholarships
To apply for either the New Directions or Meadows scholarship, follow the process below. You must also apply for admission to the university at apply.wisconsin.edu:
- Fill out the Application Form. Be sure to include the information listed below. (Note: current UWM students are not eligible for this scholarship; do not submit your personal information through this form.)
- Upload a 2 to 3 page essay on this topic: “If you were to start a new charity, what would be its mission and who would it benefit? Explain the rationale behind your choice.” (Word or PDF file)
- Upload a 1 to 3 page personal statement on how a UWM education will help you achieve your personal and professional goals. (Word or PDF file)
- Upload a copy of your high school transcript. If you have already sent your transcript as part of an application for admission to UWM, you DO NOT have to upload your transcript.
- Upload one letter of recommendation from a teacher or high school counselor who is familiar with your academic potential.
- A list of five honors, awards, work or volunteer experiences that best represent your accomplishments.
The deadline to apply is 11:59:59 pm on December 10, 2017.
Awards will be made around January 15, 2018.
Please send any questions to Assistant Dean Deanna Alba, email@example.com, or call (414) 229-7711.