There is a variety of funding available to graduate students. Please see the specific headings for more information about each type of funding. Students are encouraged to apply to more than one funding source.

Teaching Assistantships

Four departments award a number of part-time Teaching Assistant (TA) appointments to MALLT students for the academic year.

Graduate Research Assistantships

The Language Resource Center (LRC) offers several Graduate Research Assistantship positions in the Faculty Development Lab (FDL) of the Languages Resource Center (LRC). This enables students to expand their assistantship experience and gain a broader perspective of language instruction.

Graduate School Fellowships

Applicants for the MALLT degree are eligible to apply for highly competitive Graduate School fellowships and scholarships awarded throughout the University. Fellowship applicants should take the GRE (Graduate Record) examination, which is not required for admission into MALLT. Students should submit their applications for the Graduate School Fellowships to MALLT by November 1 (for the following fall) to ensure enough time for processing in order to meet the submission deadline set by the Graduate School.

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Fellowships

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Fellowships are also awarded through a highly-competitive university-wide process to new and continuing graduate students who are members of groups underrepresented in graduate study; first-generation college students with high financial need; and students with disabilities. Students should submit their applications for AOP Fellowships to MALLT by November 1 (for the following fall) to ensure enough time for processing in order to meet the submission deadline set by the Graduate School.

Travel Awards

MALLT Travel Award

In an effort to promote and recognize the professional development of graduate students presenting at and attending conferences, the MALLT Coordinating Committee has approved a travel award designed to partially offset the registration and travel costs associated with conference attendance. Submit completed applications to

Graduate School

The Graduate School offers travel awards to students enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program to assist with travel expenses for presenting papers at professional meetings or conferences.

Latin American and Caribbean area travel awards

The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies has multiple awards available for travel, both to attend conferences (to present research related to the region) and to do field research in the region.

Study Abroad Grants and Scholarships

For information on scholarship opportunities for study in various countries.

Additional Sources of Funding

Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (CLACS)

Applicants with a Latin American or Caribbean focus to their studies may apply for FLAS Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship for summer study of Latin American and Caribbean languages other than Spanish (e.g., Brazilian Portuguese, Haitian Creole, or indigenous languages of the region). Multiple MALLT students have been awarded these fellowships in recent summers. CLACS also has research awards available for field research in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Non-Resident Tuition Remission

If you are not a resident of the state of Wisconsin, you may request Non-Resident Tuition Remission (NRTR). This means that you would pay tuition at the resident rate rather than at the higher non-resident rate. There are a limited number of NRTRs, awarded on the basis of financial need and academic merit. For current resident and non-resident tuition rates, please see the Business and Financial Services Tuition and Fees web page.

After you are admitted into the MALLT program, you may apply for Non-Resident Tuition Remission. Please write a letter explaining your financial circumstances and send it to the MALLT Coordinator at the following address:

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
MALLT Program Office
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201-0413