The Accelerated BA in Latin American, Caribbean and U.S. Latin@ Studies (LACUSL) / MA Translation allows high-achieving students with advanced proficiency in Spanish and/or French to earn a BA in LACUSL and an MA in MALLT, with a concentration in Spanish to English, or English to Spanish, or French to English Translation, in only five years.
The program is open to students who have:
- Declared a Major in LACUSL
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or better, and a GPA in their major of 3.5 or better.
- Completed at least 60 of their undergraduate credit hours and at least 15 of their LACUSL credit hours at UWM.
- Completed the major requirements (24 credits) for an undergraduate major in LACUSL.
UWM and L&S requirements
- English Proficiency and UWM Oral and Written Communication (OWC) GER – English 102 (OWC-A) and one OWC-B course
- Math Proficiency and UWM Quantitative Literacy (QL) GER – Math 102, 103, 105, or 108 (QL-A) and a QL-B course
- Formal Reasoning – 3 credits (Some courses satisfy both formal reasoning and the QL-B GER)
- UWM Arts GER – 3 credits
- UWM Cultural Diversity GER – 3 credits usually accomplished in conjunction with a Humanities or Social Science course
- Foreign Language – 4 semesters of a single Foreign Language (or 3 semesters of one language and 2 semesters of another language)
- L&S Humanities – 12 credits
- L&S Social Sciences – 12 credits
- L&S Natural Science – 12 credits including a laboratory
- L&S International – 9 credits usually accomplished with third and fourth semesters of foreign language and 3 credits in a Humanities or Social Science course
The LACUSL major consists of 33 credits. LACUSL Major Requirements include:
- Core Courses (LACS 101 and Latino 101)- 6 credits
- Accelerated Courses-6 credits
- Elective Course Clusters in Artistic Expression, Social and Natural Sciences, and Language and Communication Skills – 18 credits
- Senior Research Project
For more information about LACUSL, please see http://uwm.edu/latin-american-caribbean-us-latino-studies/