The Inclusive Excellence Center (IEC) is an office on the UWM campus located in Union 198. This office is a student fee funded entity. This office is primarily dedicated to working with and promoting diversity, equity and social justice on campus. The goals of our office are as follows.
- Promote an inclusive campus environment.
- Remain committed to equity as a guiding principal.
- Engage students in intercultural exchange to explore the various dimensions of diversity.
- Provide opportunities to develop the skills required of citizens of global and diverse communities.
- Decrease the number of bias incidents occurring on campus and within the community of UWM.
The office also houses the U 1.0 First-Generation Community. This program is primarily designed to assist first generations students get acclimated to life on campus. It regularly holds events in the office for first generation students. For more information on U 1.0, click here.
In addition to that, starting in Summer of 2016, the office will be the central location for the DREAMERS initiative here at UWM. This initiative is an effort to support undocumented students. For more information click here.
The IEC is also considered a “safe space” which is a location that does not tolerate any form of bigotry, harassment and intended ignorance towards students’ race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, etc.