The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee has partnered with the InCommon Certificate Service to provide unlimited SSL certificates. This new certificate service has been paid for with research funds and SSL certificates are available free of cost to UWM departments and units. More information is available at the InCommon Certificate Service Site.
Under the existing arrangement with InCommon, there is no end user charge for production certificates, and certificates can be used for all levels of service. The back-end vendor/Certificate Authority is Comodo. The certs will work in all mainstream operating systems, web browsers, email clients, etc. All certificates are available for a period of one, two, and three years.
Which products are available?
- Standard SSL/TLS Server certificates
- Code-signing certificates
- Extended Validation (EV) Certificates
- Client/Personal certificates
How do I request a Digital Certificate?
1. Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
Note: The CSR must be 2048 bit and contain the following fields:
- Country (2 character ISO code) – Example -> “US”
- State/Province – Example -> “Wisconsin”
- Locality – Example -> “Milwaukee”
- Organization – Example -> “UW-Milwaukee”
- Organization Unit – Example -> “SampleOrg”
- Common Name (Fully Qualified Domain Name) – Example -> “sample.fqdn.uwm.edu”
Visit Comodo Support for assistance in generating a CSR.
2. Submitting the CSR
Submit the CSR using your access code and UWM email address to the InCommon Certificate Manager. An individual UWM email must be used for the request to properly record ownership of the certificate. A pantherLIST must be included in the comments field for renewal notifications. To expedite certificate approval, please include the following as additional information:
- What will the certificate be used for or why is it needed
- Is it for production/test/development
- Any additional mailing lists or email addresses cert information, including renewal notices should go to
NOTE – Local Registration Authority Operators (RAO’s) reserve the right to reject certificate requests that conflict with the terms of the agreement with InCommon.
To request an access code to submit certificate requests, use the on-line request form.
How do I obtain Technical Support?
Technical support and troubleshooting is being provided by Comodo via email, a web ticketing system and telephone. Comodo’s support web site includes a Knowledge Base and step-by-step troubleshooting guide. Please note: You must register to take advantage of support.
- Email: email@example.com (24×7)
- Web: support.comodo.com (24×7)
- Phone:+1-888-266-6361, +1-703-581-6361 (5:00 AM – 8:00 PM EST, Mon-Fri)
For questions not related to technical support, please contact the UWM Identity and Access Management Team (IAM).
- UWM Digital Certificate Service – FAQ
- UWM Digital Certificate Service – Acceptable Use
- UWM Digital Certificate Service – Access Code Request Form
- UWM Digital Certificate Service – Code Signing Certificate Request Form
- Requesting a Code Signing Certificate
- Downloading Your UWM Digital Certificate from Comodo
- UWM Help Desk
UW-Milwaukee uses the InCommon Certificate Service