The objective of this procedure is to define how to request an ePantherID
change. This procedure will provide background, relate the procedure to the
UW – Milwaukee Information Security Policy, and define the framework
needed to respond to an ePantherID change request. This procedure will go into
effect after approval and remain in effect until changed or revoked.
A consistent process for issuing electronic identifiers to the UW – Milwaukee
community is fundamental for the operation of a secure and efficient identity
management system. Automated processes for issuing the electronic
identifier known as the ePantherID have been implemented based on campus
processes used to enroll students and hire staff. The automated processes
utilize portions of the legal name of the individual to derive a unique identifier
of between 2 and 8 characters. Frequently, numbers are incorporated to help
provide uniqueness in cases of common names.
The ePantherID is used to provide secure and auditable access to services
utilized by the UW – Milwaukee community. The ePantherACCOUNT
Provisioning Service automates processes to enable access to services
administered by UITS as well as other services administered by the greater
UWM community. The changing of an ePantherID for an individual affects
the automated provisioning processes as well as the overall security and
auditability of access to any services utilized by the individual.
The UW – Milwaukee Information Security Policy provides for the development
of procedures to support the secure operation of IT systems. Given that
changing the ePantherID has impacts on the security and auditability of
services, the procedure to do so falls under the umbrella of the UW –
Milwaukee Information Security Policy
( http://www4.uwm.edu/secu/docs/other/S_59.pdf ) and such
procedures are authorized in section III-D of the policy.
It is recommended that an individual retain the ePantherID issued for the
duration of an individual’s interaction with the UWM community. However,
there may be instances where an individual may want to request a change.
This procedure provides a framework to request and process ePantherID
change requests and attempts to balance the desires of community members
with the security needs, audit requirements, and resources available to
manage services provided to the UW – Milwaukee community. This procedure
provides a framework to request changes to the ePantherID in four specific
The following situations will be processed upon contact with the UWM Help
Desk and entry of a change request:
- After a legal name change has been registered with either the
Department of Enrollment Services in the case of students eligible to
enroll for instruction or the Human Resources Office in the case of staff
under a current work contract, the individual may make a request to
change their current ePantherID. A new ePantherID will be issued
based on the new legal name.
- In the event of a data entry error leading to an incorrectly represented
legal name, after the legal name has been corrected, the individual
may make a request to change their current ePantherID. A new
ePantherID will be issued based on the corrected legal name.
The following situations will be processed at the discretion of the UWM
Account Administration Office after contact with the UWM Help Desk and
entry of a change request:
- The issued ePantherID results in a word or phrase that is generally
accepted to be offensive or inappropriate. The current ePantherID will
be taken out of service and a new ePantherID will be issued.
- The issued ePantherID results in a word, phrase or number
combination that is considered offensive or inappropriate from the
ethnic or cultural perspective of the ePantherID holder. The current
ePantherID will be taken out of service and a new ePantherID will be
It is recognized that there may be many other valid situations to request the
change of the current ePantherID. The context of these varied situations is
often required to determine the validity of the request, especially in cases
where there is a security, legal, disciplinary, or audit related component to
the request. To accommodate the variety of possible situations, all other
requests to change an issued ePantherID may be appealed to the UITS IAM
Program Sponsors using the appeal procedure in the next section. Cases
where the UWM Account Administration Office uses its discretion to decline a
request also may be appealed using the same procedure.
An individual may ask to appeal a change request that is not addressed by
one of the four specific situations or in the case where the UWM Account
Administration Office has declined a change request. The following
procedure should be used to request a change by appeal from the UITS IAM
- The individual prepares a written justification explaining the context of
the change request. The justification should speak directly to why the
currently issued ePantherID hinders the individual’s ability to complete
academic activities or conduct university business
- The individual contacts the UWM Help Desk asking for an ePantherID
change by appeal.
- The UWM Account Administration Office will contact the individual,
review the justification for completeness and verify the individual
understands the appeal process. If the justification is complete, the
UWM Account Administration Office will provide information for
submission of the justification to the IAM Program Manager.
- After submission of the justification, the IAM Program Manager will
contact the individual via email to the current ePantherID or
alternate email account and provide initial feedback on the written
justification before submission to the IAM Program Sponsors. Part of
this feedback will be an initial assessment of the merit of the request
based on past appeal history. The individual may choose to continue
with the appeal process or withdraw the appeal based on this initial
- If the individual chooses to continue with the appeal, the IAM Program
Manager will forward the justification to the IAM Program Sponsors for
adjudication and be responsible for communicating the outcome to the
individual and the UWM Account Administration Office.
- The outcome based on a submitted justification to the IAM Program
Sponsors is final.
Terms and Conditions
For ePantherID Change Requests
- The UWM Account Administration Office has 5 university business days
to acknowledge a change request via email.
- The UWM Account Administration Office has 10 university business
days from the time the change request was acknowledged to complete
approved changes unless the individual’s schedule does not permit
completion of the request in the allotted time.
- The UWM Account Administration Office will contact the individual to
schedule the ePantherID change with at least 2 university business
days of advanced notice.
- The UWM Account Administration Office has 1 university business day
to execute the ePantherID rename process during which time the
individual will not have access to services accessed using the
- The UWM Account Administration Office will facilitate the transfer of
individual data to the new ePantherID for the following services:
- pantherLIST – Only lists owned by the individual
- Other than the services listed above, UITS cannot guarantee the
transfer of any other data to the new ePantherID and it will be the
responsibility of the individual to take steps to retain any desired data
before the change is processed.
- Once the change is processed, the old ePantherID and any services accessible by the old ePantherID will be permanently disabled and subject to remediation during the next account deprovisioning cycle.
For ePantherID Change Appeal Requests
- The UWM Account Administration Office has 5 university business days
to acknowledge an appeal request via email.
- The IAM Program Manager or a designate has 10 university business
days from receipt of the justification from the individual to provide
feedback to the individual via email.
- The IAM Program Manager or a designate has 5 university business
days from providing feedback to submit the appeal to the IAM Program
- The IAM Program Sponsors have 10 university business days to
adjudicate the appeal and respond to the IAM Program Manager or a
designate from the time of submission by the IAM Program Manager or
- The IAM Program Manager or a designate has 2 university business days from receipt of an outcome to communicate by email theoutcome to the individual and the UWM Account Administration Office.
Vetting and Approval
The procedure will be vetted with the following operational teams:
- Account and Access Management Team
- UITS Operations Team
- IAAM Steering Committee
- Division of Enrollment Services Leadership
- UWM Human Resources Leadership
The Procedure will be approved by the following individuals:
- UW – Milwaukee Information Security Officer
The Procedure will be implemented by the UWM Account Administration
Office in collaboration with the IAM Program Manager. Implementation to
- Publication of the procedure on a public web site
- Publication of a “Just the Facts”
- Revision of operational procedures and documentation used by UWM
Account Administration Office
- Development of an operational procedure that coordinates the efforts
of service operational teams to facilitate the timely changing of
- Draft – RANKM – 20100831
- Edits based on feedback from MZWOO, SAB2 and BETHS – RANKM –
- General edits and revisions – RANKM – 20100908
- Edits based on feedback from SAB2, DAVIDC, UITS Operations Team
and Account and Access Management Team – RANKM – 20100924
- Edits based on feedback from DES, HR and IAAM Steering Committee
to clarify that all other situations, including those related to security,
legal or audit issues should be addressed via the appeal process –
- Edits for grammar and spelling – RANKM – 20101022
- Edit to specify that the IAM program manager will provide feedback via
email for appeal requests – RANKM – 20101022
- Final draft approved by IAAM Steering Committee and ready for
approval – RANKM – 20101028
- Approved under UWM Information Security Policy as per SAB2 – RANKM