Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

General Questions

How do I change my name, address, telephone number, gender, or emergency contact information?

  1. Name Change: Checklist Form
  2. Address Change DOC
  3. Telephone Number Change: send email request to
  4. Gender Change DOC
  5. Emergency Contact Change PDF

What is the Portal? Why would I use it?

The Portal, also known as the MyUW Portal, the Self-Service Portal, or, is a website that allows you to:

  1. Read HR, Payroll, and Benefits News
  2. Access E-Benefits
  3. Report Time Worked
  4. Report Absences Taken
  5. Access Earnings and Tax Statements
  6. Update Personal Contact Information
  7. View UW System Career Opportunities

How do I access the Portal?

  1. First, activate your ePantherID: LINK
  2. Log in to the portal:

Benefits Questions

Who is my benefits specialist?

Benefits Specialists are assigned according to employee last name.

Last name beginning withBenefits SpecialistEmail
A – IGail
J – PLoree
Q – ZSusan

How do I add a baby / spouse / domestic partner to my insurance?

What is a qualifying life event and the deadline to make insurance changes?

Payroll Questions

How much leave can be carried to the next year?

How do I see my earnings statement / tax information?

How do I know or change the number of allowances for federal / state tax withholding?

The current number of allowances for federal & state tax withholding is shown in the tax data box (top right) of your earnings statement.

Submit a new W-4 form to change the number of allowances for federal and/or state tax withholding.

Employment Questions

What positions are open at UWM and how do I apply?

  1. All available openings at UW-Milwaukee, and instructions for submitting applications, can be found at: (custodial positions are found under the University Staff link).
  2. Available openings at other UW System campuses: Careers at UW.
  3. Available openings for other state-wide positions:

How do I apply for public service loan forgiveness?

Submit a request to the UW Service Center: PSLF form (instructions on form)

For more information please see: Federal Student Aid.

How do I get a letter verifying my employment or income?

Verification of employment, or income, is not handled by the department of Human Resources, it is handled by the UW Service Center. Please visit their webpage for instructions on how to obtain verification.

UW Service Center Verification of Employment

HRS Access Questions

How can I obtain access to HRS?

For HRS view-only roles, submit a request to

For Time/Labor Approvers and/or Payroll Coordinators access is assigned via the Time/Labor Security functionality directly within HRS by divisional staff. Please contact the appropriate Personnel Representative for further assistance.

How do I access HRS?

For core HRS users the system can be accessed directly via the following URL:

HRS Employee and Manager Self-Service can be accessed via the MyUW Portal:

Why can I no longer access HRS?

Individual job or position changes (transfer/promotion/termination) will trigger automatic revocation of access within HRS. HRS roles/access will need to be re-provisioned. Send an e-mail to for further assistance.

All core HRS users are required to complete the HRS Security Awareness Course within 60 days of being granted HRS access, as well as on an annual basis. HRS/EPM access, including Employee Self-Service, will be locked for users who do not complete the course/quiz within this specified time period. Once confirmation is received that this security requirement has been met, the UW Service Center will be contacted to unlock access. Send an e-mail to for further assistance.

International Staff and Students Questions

Do I have to file my taxes?

What is GLACIER?

GLACIER is an online tax compliance system designed to allow institutions to efficiently and effectively collect information, make tax residency and income tax treaty determinations, manage paperwork, maintain data, and file reporting statements with the IRS.

Do I qualify for treaty?

Complete your GLACIER account to determine if you qualify for treaty.

I am a nonresident or resident alien and receiving an award or scholarship from UWM. What do I need to do?

I also have or have had a job at UWM in the current calendar year

  1. Update GLACIER to indicate:
    • Both an employee and scholar relationship with UWM.
    • Receiving both wages and a scholarship from UWM.
  2. Print and sign a new GLACIER packet that shows the changes made.
  3. Submit to Central HR.

I am only receiving the scholarship/award and have not had a job at UWM in the current calendar year

  1. Apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) if needed.
    • Confirmation is required from UW System to pay out any award or scholarship and will normally take up to 10 business days to receive. Heavy processing periods will increase that timeframe at UW System level.
    • After confirmation, the ITIN should be received 4-6 months from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
  2. Complete your GLACIER account.
  3. Print, sign, and submit the GLACIER packet to the central HR office.
  4. Update GLACIER with ITIN when it is received and provide new packet to HR.

What resources are there on campus for internationals?