1. Program Statement
Eligible employees (see below) who have received notice of nonrenewal due to budget or program decisions, notice of layoff, or otherwise are being terminated due to budget or program decisions, are being provided through this program the right of referral priority to vacancies for which they may qualify.
The Priority Referral Program (PRP) would be open to academic staff, university staff, and limited employees without backup positions, who have appointments of 50% or greater, who have received notice of nonrenewal, are laid off, or are terminated (this applies to limited employees only) due to program or budget changes. The PRP will continue until June 30, 2017, at which time it will be revisited in consultation with the Academic Staff Committee and University Staff Committee.
Duration of Eligibility for the Program: Eligibility for participation in the program is three years from the notice date of nonrenewal or layoff. If the PRP is not renewed after June 30, 2017, it will continue for all employees already participating in the program for the full three years from the notice date of nonrenewal or layoff.
3. Program Details
Initial Action: Eligible employees who receive notice of nonrenewal, layoff or termination due to program or budget changes will be informed, upon written notification of their pending termination, that the Priority Referral Program exists and that they have a right to participate.
Employee Action: Employees must indicate their interest in the PRP and provide information necessary for participation in the program, per instructions to be provided by the Office of Human Resources (OHR).
Options for Participants: Participants may choose to join a pool of priority referral candidates for a position in which they are interested, or they may elect not to apply as a priority referral candidate. Upon notification of a recruitment from the OHR representative, participants have three working days* to apply as a priority referral candidate for that position.
4. Implementation and Maintenance of the Program
- Upon notification of nonrenewal or layoff, express interest in the PRP and provide OHR any required information.
- Monitor notifications of recruitments and apply within three working days for positions of interest.
- Provide annual confirmation of interest in continued participation in the program during the eligibility period.
- Maintain a database of participants and pertinent information.
- Develop and maintain a system for tracking participants and activities related to the program.
- Administer the program and respond to participant/departmental queries.
- Upon receiving an expression of interest in filling a vacancy, OHR will affirm the department’s obligation to review any PRP candidates before the recruitment will be advertised publicly.
- OHR will notify all program participants of a pending recruitment and interested participants will have the opportunity to apply for the position as outlined by OHR. Time for candidates’ application: three working days*.
- HR will provide departments with names and pertinent materials of all interested program participants. Recruiting departments will be expected to respond to OHR within three working days* of receipt of participant materials indicating whether and whom they would interview. Time for departmental response: three working days*.
- Per University Staff Layoff Policies and Procedures, if a participating University Staff member meets the minimum qualifications for a job in which they express interest, the hiring unit must interview that staff member. When forwarding the names and pertinent materials of interested program participants, OHR will note if any University Staff member is required to be interviewed. If there is a question whether the employee meets the minimum qualifications, OHR will confer with the hiring unit.
- If a program participant is selected for the position after interview, the hire will proceed per standard hiring policies and procedures, as advised by OHR. Also consistent with standard hiring policies and procedures, the hiring unit determines the terms and conditions of employment, upon negotiation with the selected applicant.
* These timelines may be lengthened if the process warrants, upon approval of the Director of OHR.