All eligible employees will earn legal holidays and sick leave. Certain employees will earn vacation and personal holidays. All hours earned are based on the employment percentage and duration.
Faculty, Academic Staff, and Limited Appointees
12-Month/Calendar Year: Earn sick, vacation, floating holidays and legal holidays.
9-Month/Academic Year: Earn sick and legal holidays that fall within the academic year.
- All faculty, academic staff, and limited appointees are granted an initial entitlement of 176.0 hours of sick leave (prorated if part-time) for their first 18 months of employment. After which sick leave is earned at a rate of 8.0 hours per month for 12-month appointees and 10.7 hours per month for 9-month appointees.
- Vacation, if eligible, is granted at the beginning of each fiscal year (July 1) at a rate of 176.0 hours per year (prorated if part-time). Unused vacation can be carried over into the next fiscal year but must be used by the end of the new fiscal year (June 30).
- Floating/Personal Holidays are granted at the beginning of each fiscal year (July 1) at a rate of 36.0 hours per year (prorated if part-time). These hours must be used by the end of the fiscal year in which they were earned (June 30) or they will be lost.
- Legal Holiday hours granted at the beginning of each fiscal year for 12-month appointees at a rate of 72.0 hours per year (prorated if part-time). 9-month appointees will not be granted Legal Holiday hours but are not expected to work on scheduled paid Legal Holidays. Please see your Personnel Representative for a current schedule of dates.
- Leave needs to be reported by the 5th of the following month each month regardless of leave usage. By the 1st of the following month, the leave statement will be available on the self service portal (my.uwm.edu) for employees to download and submit to their department. You must report leave in half or whole days (i.e. 4.0 or 8.0 hours) if you are full-time. Use the following parameters:
- 0.0 – 2.0 hours used: report 0.0 hours
- 2.1 – 6.0 hours used: report 4.0 hours
- 6.1 – 8.0 hours used: report 8.0 hours
Part-time employees will report exact hours used.
- When a legal holiday falls on a Saturday, the employee is granted eight hours of floating legal holiday (prorated, if part-time).
- When a legal holiday falls on a Sunday, the legal holiday is observed and the UW System is closed on the Monday following the legal holiday.
- If the legal holidays of January 1, July 4 or December 25 fall on a Sunday, University offices are closed on the following day (Monday) and the holiday is observed on that Monday.
- If any of the other legal holidays fall on a regularly scheduled day off (such as Saturday or Sunday) employees are granted floating holiday time.
Due to varying business needs throughout the UW System, some employees may be required to work on a legal holiday. Employees who are required to work on a legal holiday, or if the legal holiday is on an employee’s regularly schedule day off, they will be granted floating legal holiday.
Floating legal holidays can be used like any other paid leave, and must be used by the end of the year in which it was earned (calendar year for University Staff employees, fiscal year for Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointees).
|Legal Holidays for 2017||Observed|
|New Year’s Day||Monday, January 2|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Monday, January 16|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 29|
|Independence Day||Tuesday, July 4|
|Labor Day||Monday, September 4|
|Thanksgiving||Thursday, November 23|
|Christmas Eve||Sunday, December 24 (Floating Holiday)|
|Christmas Day||Monday, December 25|
|New Year’s Eve||Sunday, December 31 (Floating Holiday)|
For more information please visit:
Unpaid Leave and/or FMLA
Leave is available under the Federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and/or the Wisconsin Family Leave Act (WFMLA). You must meet certain employment requirements and have department approval prior to taking either of these types of leave. More information is available in the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Toolkit.