All eligible employees will earn legal holidays and sick leave. Certain employees will earn vacation and personal holidays. All hours earned are based on the employment percentage and duration.
Benefits Specialists are assigned according to employee last name.
|Last name beginning with||Benefits Specialist|
|A – I||Gail Dukesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|J – P||Loree Krauseemail@example.com|
|Q – Z||Susan Voitfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Faculty, Academic Staff, and Limited Appointees
- All faculty, academic staff, and limited appointees are granted an initial entitlement of 176.0 hours of sick leave (prorated if part-time) for their first 18 months of employment. After which sick leave is earned at a rate of 8.0 hours per month for 12-month appointees and 10.7 hours per month for 9-month appointees.
- Vacation, if eligible, is granted at the beginning of each fiscal year (July 1) at a rate of 176.0 hours per year (prorated if part-time). Unused vacation can be carried over into the next fiscal year but must be used by the end of the new fiscal year (June 30).
- Floating/Personal Holidays are granted at the beginning of each fiscal year (July 1) at a rate of 36.0 hours per year (prorated if part-time). These hours must be used by the end of the fiscal year in which they were earned (June 30) or they will be lost.
- Legal Holiday hours granted at the beginning of each fiscal year for 12-month appointees at a rate of 72.0 hours per year (prorated if part-time). 9-month appointees will not be granted Legal Holiday hours but are not expected to work on scheduled paid Legal Holidays. Please see your Personnel Representative for a current schedule of dates.
- Leave needs to be reported by the 5th of the following month each month regardless of leave usage. By the 1st of the following month, the leave statement will be available on the self service portal (my.uwm.edu) for employees to download and submit to their department. You must report leave in half or whole days (i.e. 4.0 or 8.0 hours) if you are full-time. Use the following parameters:
- 0.0 – 2.0 hours used: report 0.0 hours
- 2.1 – 6.0 hours used: report 4.0 hours
- 6.1 – 8.0 hours used: report 8.0 hours
Part-time employees will report exact hours used.
For more information please see: Faculty, Academic Staff, Limited Appointees Personnel Policies and Procedures Chapter 16.02
The UW System grants nine days of paid legal holidays per year to eligible employees. Full-time employees earn eight hours of leave for each legal holiday. Part-time employees earn a prorated amount based on their appointment percentage.
- When a legal holiday falls on a Saturday, the employee is granted eight hours of floating legal holiday (prorated, if part-time).
- When a legal holiday falls on a Sunday, the legal holiday is observed and the UW System is closed on the Monday following the legal holiday.
- If the legal holidays of January 1, July 4 or December 25 fall on a Sunday, University offices are closed on the following day (Monday) and the holiday is observed on that Monday.
- If any of the other legal holidays fall on a regularly scheduled day off (such as Saturday or Sunday) employees are granted floating holiday time.
Due to varying business needs throughout the UW System, some employees may be required to work on a legal holiday. Employees who are required to work on a legal holiday, or if the legal holiday is on an employee’s regularly schedule day off, they will be granted floating legal holiday.
Floating legal holidays can be used like any other paid leave, and must be used by the end of the year in which it was earned (calendar year for University Staff employees, fiscal year for Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointees).
|Legal Holidays for 2018||Observed|
|New Year’s Day||Monday, January 1|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Monday, January 15|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 28|
|Independence Day||Wednesday, July 4|
|Labor Day||Monday, September 3|
|Thanksgiving||Thursday, November 22|
|Christmas Eve||Monday, December 24|
|Christmas Day||Tuesday, December 25|
|New Year’s Eve||Monday, December 31|
For more information please see:
Unpaid Leave and/or FMLA
Leave is available under the Federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and/or the Wisconsin Family Leave Act (WFMLA). You must meet certain employment requirements and have department approval prior to taking either of these types of leave. More information is available in the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Toolkit.