The State of Wisconsin and the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee are dedicated to saving the environment through recycling. University Housing has developed a recycling program that allows for the collection and easy separation of recyclables from the general waste stream. We presently recycle within the four main categories:
- Paper: includes paper, newspapers, cardboard, container board, magazines.
- Cans: includes aluminum, steel and tin.
- Glass: includes brown, clear and green glass.
- Plastics: includes any plastic that has the recycling symbol and a number 1 or 2.
Recycling Helpful Hints
- Separate your recyclables from your general waste. Do not allow contamination of recyclables.
- Rinse out all cans, glass, and bottles. Remove metal caps, rings. Paper or plastic labels and rings do not need to be removed.
- Pizza boxes and plastic bags are not recyclable.
- Large items (boxes, cardboard, loft poles) should be taken directly to the dumpsters in the parking garage. (Purin dumpsters are located in the alley.)
- Only buy those items that are made from recyclable products and can be recycled again.Residents are encouraged to help save the environment and assist in the recycling program.