With a focus on developing skillsets related to the biomedical sciences, the Certificate Program in Molecular Diagnostics trains students in this newly-emerging and rapidly-evolving field of Laboratory Medicine.
Why choose us?
- UWM’s College of Health Sciences is widely known for its excellent teaching and student learning environment, innovative research programs, community engagement and service to various health care professions.
- Coursework will include lecture and laboratory courses that focus on application and preparation for a nationally-recognized certification exam (American Society for Clinical Pathology-Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC) Molecular Biology, MB(ASCP)).
- The Certificate Program is available to returning, non-degree students who wish additional credentials in Molecular Diagnostics for career development/enhancement.
What can I do with a Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics?
Students will gain a solid foundation and basic skills necessary for professional employment in Molecular Diagnostic Programs.
It will prepare you to work in a variety of settings, including:
- University and hospital laboratories
- New test R&D applications
- Biotechnology Industries
- Serving the molecular diagnostics communities.
The Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics is designed to augment the basic education and skills of students currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Biomedical Sciences or Biological Sciences. With minimal additional courses, students will be able to complete a Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics.
A total of 20 – 22 credits are required for this certificate.
|CHEM 501: Introduction to Biochemistry||3|
|BIO SCI 325: Genetics||4|
|BMS 549: Professional Development in Clinical Laboratory Sciences||3|
|BMS 539/540: Public Health Microbiology OR|
BIO SCI 539 (663): Laboratory Techniques in Molecular Biology
|BMS 560/561: Molecular Diagnostics/Lab OR|
BMS 705/561: Molecular Pathology/Lab
Choice of one of the following Electives:
|BIO SCI 383: General Microbiology||4 LC/LA|
|BIO SCI 315/316: Cell Biology/Lab||4|
|BIO SCI 534/535: Medical Microbiology/Lab||4|
|BIO SCI 536: Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology||2|
|BIO SCI 660: Eukaryotic Molecular Biology||3|
|BMS 599: Advanced Independent Study||3|
Frequently Asked QuestionsFrequently Asked Questions
To apply to the Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics, please email the CHS Office of Student Affairs, at email@example.com.
Is there a deadline to apply?
No, the enrollment period is rolling. You can apply at any time. Deadlines only surround class schedules.
Is the Certificate Program online?
Some, but not all, of the required coursework is offered in an online format.
Are there prerequisite requirements for this Certificate?
Although flexibility is built into this Certificate Program, students will be expected to have basic knowledge of microbiology and genetics, and at least one advanced laboratory course (500 level or above) to qualify for the Molecular Diagnostics Certificate.
What courses can I take for this Certificate?
Please see the coursework listed above. Consult the online Schedule of Classes to find out when classes are offered.
How much does the Certificate Program cost?
Tuition fee information may be found at the UWM Business and Financial Services Office under Tuition and Fees information.
How long do I have to complete the Certificate Program?
Students must complete all certificate courses within 3 years of initial enrollment in the certificate program. Students must earn at least a 2.50 GPA in the courses listed above to obtain the Certificate.