- MBA, UW-Milwaukee, Spring 2016
- MA, Foreign Language and Literature, UW-Milwaukee, Spring 2004
Based upon my own experiences as a student, I am passionate about sharing the pleasure of learning Chinese with students. Having learned Chinese myself, I have a keen sense for which parts of the language are most difficult and interesting to American college students. I strive to include fun and humor in every classroom situation to encourage real-life communication.
Selection of Courses Taught
- Chinese 101: First Semester Chinese – Sample Syllabus[PDF]
- Chinese 102: Second Semester Chinese – Sample Syllabus[PDF]
- Online First Semester Chinese
- Hybrid First Semester Chinese
- Hybrid Second Semester Chinese
- Chinese 150: Contemporary Chinese Society & Culture – Sample Syllabus [PDF]
- Chinese 301: Fifth Semester Chinese
- Chinese 302: Sixth Semester Chinese
- Chinese 343: Chinese Martial Arts Fiction – Sample Syllabus [PDF]
I am interested in the creative development of curriculum, including interactive and media-based activities, to encourage creative language use during the early stages of language learning. I previously developed completely online offerings of Chinese 101 and Chinese 102 and am now working on a hybrid version of both courses. As a lifelong martial artist, I am interested in the development of Chinese martial practices and the role of martial arts in Chinese literature and cinema.
Other Relevant Activities
I am an avid martial artist and got my start as a teacher as a Taekwondo instructor. I currently practice Yang style T’ai Chi.