Applicants who do not meet UWM’s requirements for English proficiency may be eligible for conditional admission.
Admitted students in this category do have the option to apply for UWM’s ESL program. Undergraduate students who are accepted conditionally will not be eligible to register for academic courses until they have met one of the following:
- Successful completion of the UWM Intensive English as a Second Language program:
- One full semester (16 weeks) of the B2 level
- Overall attendance in ESL courses must be at least 85%
- Positive overall assessment from three ESL instructors
- Overall grade in B2 level ESL of B- or better
- Submission of an official TOEFL or IELTS score that meets the minimum requirements described below from an exam that was taken after the date of admission.
* Please note, graduate students must provide a passing TOEFL or IELTs score OR a passing portfolio to demonstrate English language proficiency for admission.
Conditions of Enrollment and Requirements to Gain Dual Admission for Students with Conditional Admission
Students with conditional admission are required to enroll full-time in the UWM Intensive English Program (for at least one semester). Additionally, conditionally admitted students may not enroll in academic coursework or hold a graduate assistantship position. Students with conditional admission must achieve at least a CEFR B2 level within 2 semesters of initial enrollment at UWM through one of the following:
- Presenting a new official TOEFL, IELTS, or CAE/CPE score that meets the English proficiency requirement for dual admission for the program of the student; or,
- Achieving a CEFR level of B2 through portfolio assessment after completion of at least one semester in the UWM Intensive English Program
UWM English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants for undergraduate study at UWM whose native language is not English must meet one of the following for admission:
- TOEFL: Minimum TOEFL score of 520 (PBT) or 68 (iBT). UWM’s ETS school code is 1473.
- IELTS: Minimum IELTS score of 5.5. (Give UWM’s mailing address to the testing center.)
- University Study: Proof of completion of at least eighteen months of full-time study (approximately three semesters) at a recognized or accredited institution of higher education whose language of instruction is English (immediately prior to enrollment at UWM).
- Secondary/High School Study: Proof of completion of the last two years of secondary/high school at an institution whose language of instruction is English (immediately prior to enrollment at UWM).