Dates: Monday, June 26 to Friday, June 30, 2017
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Summer STEAM* Day Camp
This summer program is for students entering 8th through 12th grades. This college awareness and preparation week is on the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee campus. The programming is native focused and open to all. Student participants will engage in coding, storytelling, and art.
The week includes:
- App Development
- For 2017: youth will join one of three teams that will design, create, and playtest their own simple app games to teach the Ojibwe language to novice public users.
- The App Game will be officially launched at the 2017 Indian Summer Festival!!
- Introduction to our one of our region’s indigenous languages: Ojibwe.
- Archeology with Art
- Paper airplane competition
- Scavenger hunt campus tour
- Visit the UWM School of Freshwater Sciences
- Learn how to navigate with maps and hear stories from the captain of the R/V Neeskay.
- See the fisheries
- Learn about the build custom tools built to solve research problems
- Build your own water filter & test it
- Guest Teachers include:
Lunch is provided daily. The cost for this program is $35. Scholarships/fee waivers are readily available. Priority registration deadline is June 13, 2017.
*STEAM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math.