Departmental Undergraduate Scholarships
Each spring the English Department awards several undergraduate scholarships. For these competitively-selected awards, students submit application materials, including a sample of critical writing, which were reviewed by a committee of faculty members.
The next call for applications will be announced in February 2017, with a deadline for applications in late March.
The Ruth B. Skretting-Bertschi Scholarship:
The Skretting-Bertschi Scholarship is an award of $1,000 given to outstanding undergraduate students in English. This fund was established in 2006 in support of a scholarship in English in memory of Ruth B. Skretting-Bertschi, an alumna of the English department.
- 2015 Awardee: Jack Ceschin
- 2016 Awardees: Jack Ceschin, Lauren Lisak, Grace O’Neill, Madison Rose Williams
- 2017 Awardees: Katherine Casey, Bailey Flannery, Morgan Lipinski , Bijan Salamati
The Elizabeth Babbitt Memorial Scholarship:
The Babbitt Scholarship was established in 1972 by the family of Elizabeth Babbitt, an alumna of the English Department. Competitively selected awards of $1,000 are granted annually, with preference given to English majors in their first two years of undergraduate study who have demonstrated financial need.
- 2015 Awardees: Kristiana Perleberg, Bryce Stevenson
- 2016 Awardees: Esmé Barniskis, Kathryn Skjoldager
- 2017 Awardees: Elliott Baas, Jennifer Johnston, Adam Piwoni
Robert Jones Scholarship
This award of $1,000 was established in 1993 in memory of a longtime member of the department and specialist in African-American Literature. Awards are given to English majors, with at least junior year status, who have both a high GPA and demonstrated financial need, with preference given to African-American students.
- 2015 Awardees: Armani Bolden, Jade Schauf
- 2017 Awardee: Faith Bradley
For additional information, please contact the Department Chair, Mark Netzloff (email@example.com).