Use this checklist to ensure that you have completed and delivered all Graduate School and Department of English forms to the proper recipients. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all forms are completed correctly and in a timely manner. Questions regarding the proper use of forms can be directed to the Graduate School (Graduate School forms only) and the Graduate Program Manager (all forms).
Forms from the Graduate School are indicated below with the letters “GS.” Most of the GS forms are available online at: uwm.edu/graduateschool/forms-downloads. The GS Doctoral Milestones system is available at: uwm.edu/graduateschool/doctoral-milestones.
Most multipart forms (paper forms) are no longer available from the Graduate School.
Forms from the Department of English are noted with the letters “ENG.” Paper copies of these forms are no longer available in the Graduate Studies Office, CRT 422.
- General Information
- Change in Plan of Study form [.pdf] (ENG)
- Internal Application for New or Renewal Assistantship [.pdf] (ENG)
- Declaration of Committee form [.pdf] (ENG – used at MA and PhD levels)
- Graduate Request for Exception [.pdf] (GS)
- Graduate Transfer Credit Evaluation form [.pdf] (GS – Note: this form is not used for transferring MA credits into the PhD; see below for Credit Transfer Form for this purpose)
- Special Emphases
- Special Emphasis in Professional Writing form (see the Graduate Professional Writing Coordinator for this form)
- Special Emphasis in Rhetoric and Composition form (see the Rhetoric and Composition page)
- ESL Teaching Assistantship Application (ENG – Included on Internal Application for New or Renewal Assistantship form [.doc])
- Master’s Program
- Doctoral Program
- Independent Study form [.pdf] (ENG)
- Program of Study forms (ENG)
- Credit Transfer form [.pdf] (ENG – used for PhD students for credit on a full MA degree earned at another institution – include with Program of Study form)
- Warrant for Academic Review (ENG)
- Second Language Requirement Certification form [.pdf] (ENG)
- Preliminary Exam Proposal forms (to be used as a cover sheet for the proposal and handed into the Graduate Policy Committee meeting):
- Application for Doctoral Preliminary Examination [web link] (GS)
- Application for Doctoral Dissertator Status [web link] (GS)
- Dissertation Proposal Cover Sheet and Hearing Form [.pdf] (ENG – to be used as the proposal cover sheet and handed into the Graduate Policy Committee meeting)
- Dissertation Intention form [.pdf] (ENG – for Creative Writing option only; please see your advisor)
- Application for Dissertation Defense and Graduation form [web link] (GS)
- Warrant for Doctoral Defense (not available for student use; delivered by GS to ENG)
- Change of Address [.pdf] (Instructions for Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants and Project Assistants on how to file a change of address with the Payroll Office)
- Graduate Assistant Justification form [.doc] (GS – Used when Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants and Project Assistants must register for reduced credit loads, as in the case of illness, for example. This form is NOT needed when registering for the 1 credit prelim semester.)
- General Information
Note: There are other forms at the Graduate School for which you might find a need. Find those at the Graduate School web address noted above.
- In all cases, please read the forms carefully. The GS forms have a numbered sequence that MUST be followed. Failure to do so could result in the delay of processing the application and delay in your receipt of the status or consideration for which the form was designed.
Because of the volume of forms received, GS forms may take up to two weeks to process. It is therefore best to plan ahead if you must utilize GS forms.
- ENG forms can generally be processed quickly, but plan ahead nonetheless.
- Contact the Graduate Program Manager in Curtin Hall 422 if you have questions.