All applicants must provide:
- Three letters of recommendation
- Two writing samples, which can include those created for academic or job-related projects
- A one-page statement of purpose explaining your interest in studying at UWM
If you’re also applying for a graduate teaching position, you’ll have to provide:
- An additional 10-20 page academic writing sample
- A one-page teaching statement
Additionally, at least one of your letters of recommendation should speak to your teaching experience or potential teaching ability.
Apply to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Graduate School. You’ll need to:
- Fill out the Graduate School Degree application.
- Enter your Statement of Purpose directly to the application.
- Ensure that official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies are delivered to the Graduate School.
- Pay the application fee. You can pay the fee online with a credit card.
Visit http://www.graduateschool.uwm.edu/students/prospective/apply/ to start the application to the Graduate School. Completing your Graduate School application online is highly recommended. Once your Graduate School application is complete, it is sent to the Department of English for further review.
Apply to the Professional Writing program via Interfolio.
Applying online to UWM’s English Program via Interfolio consists of two parts:
- Create a dossier of materials (for free) at Interfolio.
- Visit a short series of UWM-specific web pages (also hosted by Interfolio), where you’ll provide some additional information and documents. Read through the steps on the admissions page before you start so you can be sure to have everything you need at hand.
Visit the admissions page for more information.