Dilano Saldin, Ph.D.
Dilano Saldin obtained his B.A in 1971 and his a Ph.D. in Materials in 1975, both from the University of Oxford. From 1976 to 1981 he worked there first as a junior research fellow and then as a lecturer. In 1981 he started working as a research fellow at Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College, University of London, where he stayed until 1988. Since 1988, Saldin has been at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he is now a Distinguished Professor. From 2000 to 2001 and from 2002 to 2008 he was Chair of the Department of Physics.
As a result of his research, Saldin holds two atomic imaging patents. He is consultant to the commission on Electron Diffraction, International Union of Crystallography, and to a major Japanese electronics company in the area of electron holography. He is a member of the editorial board of Journal of Holography and Speckle. Dr. Saldin is a member of the National Science Foundation Science and Technology Center on 'Biology with X-Ray Lasers' and his current research is also supported by a regular NSF grant in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics.
- Ph.D. in Materials, University of Oxford, England, 1975.
- B.A. in Materials, University of Oxford, England, 1971.
- M. Pande, P. Schwander, M. Schmidt, and D. K. Saldin “Deducing fast electron density changes in randomly oriented uncrystallized biomolecules in a pump-probe experiment” Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. B, Vol. 369, 20130332 (2014) DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2013.0332
- . Schmidt and D. K. Saldin “Enzyme transient state kinetics in crystal and solution from the perspective of a time-resolved crystallographer” Structural Dynamics, Vol. 1, 024701(14 pages) (2014) DOI: 10.1063/1.4869472
- H.-C. Poon, P. Schwander, M. Udding, and D. K. Saldin “Fiber Diffraction without Fibers”
Physical Review Letters, Vol. 110, 265505(4 pages) (2013) DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.265505
- H. Liu, B. Poon, D. Saldin, J. Spence, and P. Zwart
“Three-dimensional single-particle imaging using angular correlations from X-ray laser data” Acta Cryst. A, Vol. 69, 365-373 (2013) DOI: 10.1107/S0108767313006016
- H.-C. Poon, M. Schmidt, and D. K. Saldin
“Extraction of fast changes in the structure of a disordered ensemble of photoexcited biomolecules”
Advances in Condensed Matter Physics, Vol. 2013, 750371(5 pages) (2013) DOI: 10.1155/2013/750371
- R. A. Kirian and D. K. Saldin “Structure determination from disordered ensembles of identical particles” Synchrotron Radiation News, Vol. 26, 20-25 (2013) DOI: 10.1080/08940886.2013.771070
- D. K. Saldin “Microscopy: Reconstructing the third dimension” Nature, Vol. 486, 197-198 (2012) DOI: 10.1038/486197a
- D. K. Saldin, H. C. Poon, P. Schwander, M. Uddin, and M. Schmidt “Reconstructing an icosahedral virus from single particle diffraction experiments” Optics Express, 19, 17318-17335 (2011) DOI: 10.1364/OE.19.017318
- S. E. Chamberlin, C. J. Hirschmugl, S. T. King, H. C. Poon, and D. K. Saldin “Role of hydrogen on the ZnO(000-1)-(1x1) surface” Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 84, 075437 (2011) DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.84.075437
- D. K. Saldin, H. C. Poon, M. Bogan, S. Marchesini, D. A. Kirian, U. Weierstall, and J. C. H. Spence
“New light on disordered ensembles: ab-initio structure determination of one particle from scattering fluctuations of many copies” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 106, 115501 (2011) DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.106.115501