Pradeep Rohatgi, Ph.D.
Dr. Rohatgi currently serves as a Wisconsin Distinguished Professor and the Director of the UWM Composite Center at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He serves on committees of the governments of the United States and India in the areas of materials in the automotive, energy, and environmental sectors. His research has been supported by that National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Naval Research and several major corporations. Dr. Rohatgi has coauthored eleven books and over 400 scientific papers. He has 20 U.S. patents and has received numerous awards for excellence in research.
- Sc.D., Materials Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1964
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, MIT, 1963
- B.S., Metallurgical Engineering, Banaras University, 1961
Honors and Awards:
- Received the Engineers and Scientists of Milwaukee Engineer of the Year Award (2011)
- Honorary Medal from Motor Transport Institute, Warsaw, Poland (2006)
- Hall Heroult Scientific Merit Award by American Foundrymens Society (2000) / UWM Foundation Distinguished Service Award for Distinguished Public Service (1995)
- Awarded the Ford/Briggs and Stratton Professorship (1991)
- Award for best work in light metals from American Foundrymen's Society (1969)
Processing, manufacturing, and characterization of advanced materials including composites syntactic foams self-healing, self-lubricating and self-cleaning materials. Energy conservation and sustainability through lightweight materials including composites.
More than 190 published articles dating back to 1966. Recent:
- P.K. Rohatgi, V.K. Tiwari, N. Gupta, “Thermal Management of Cast Carbon Fiber-Al Composites” In Proceedings of TMS Annual Meeting 2007, February 25-March 1, 2007, Orlando, FL.
- R.S. Amano, P.K. Rohatgi, Dejan Ristic, Pradeep Mohandas, Zhenyu Xu, Ashwani K. Gupta, “A Study of Turbulent Flow Phenomena in Laser Engineered Net Shaping Rapid Manufacturing Using Computational Fluid Dynamics Technology.” Proceedings of IMECE: 2006 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Nov. 5-10, Chicago, IL.
- P.K. Rohatgi, N. Gupta, D. Weiss, D. Miracle, “Sythesis and applications of catst metal matri composites and syntatctic foams.” In Proceedings of SAMPE 2006 Fall Technical Conference, Dallas, TX, Nov. 6-9, 2006.
- M.A. Belger, Rohatgi, P.K., and N. Gupta, “Aluminum Composite Castings Incorporating Used and Virgin Foundry Sand as Particle Reinforcements.” “Solidification processing of Metal Matrix Composites, Rohatgi Honorary Symposium” Edited: N.Gupta and W.Hunt TMS, 2006. p.195.
- Deo Nath, N. Prasad, P.K. Rohatgi, “Wear of Lead Free Cast Copper Alloy Graphite Particle Composite. “Solidification processing of Metal Matrix Composites, Rohatgi honorary Symposium” Edited: N.Gupta and W.Hunt TMS ,March 2006. p.283.
- P.K. Rohatgi, Satyanarayana Gundappa Kestur, Marimutha Raman Pillai, Chandrasekhara Bellembettu Pai, Jeongkyon Kim, Mahesh Kestursatya, “ Developments in Science & Technology of Cast Aluminum Matrix Composites – “Solidification processing of Metal Matrix Composites, Rohatgi honorary Symposium” Edited: N.Gupta and W.Hunt TMS, 2006. p.51.
- P.K. Rohatgi, Satyanarayana Gundappa Kestur, Marimuthu Raman Pillai, Chandrasekhara Bellembettu Pai, “Synthesis of Stir Cast Aluminum Alloy Matrix Composites – Indian Contributions.” Solidification processing of Metal Matrix Composites, Rohatgi honorary Symposium. ” Edited: N.Gupta and W.Hunt TMS, March 2006 p.15
- P.K. Rohatgi, V. Tiwari, and N. Gupta. “A Modified Squeeze Infiltrationo Process to Synthesize Nickel Coated Carbon Fiber reinforced Al-2014 Composite.” “ Solidification processing of Metal Matrix Composites, Rohatgi honorary Symposium. ” Edited: N.Gupta and W.Hunt TMS, 2006 p.205
- Amano, R.S. and Rohatgi, P.K., “Synthesis of Metal Matrix-Nanoparticle Composites by Stir Mixing,” DMII, NSF Grantee’s Conference, January 2005, Phoenix, Arizona.
- Daoud , M.T. Abou-Elkhair , M. Abdel-Aziz and P. Rohatgi, Fabrication and Microstructure of Magnesium Alloy-Microballoon Fly Ash Composites'', Advancing with composites-2005 Conference, Naples, Italy, October 11-14, 2005.