Michael Nosonovsky Ph.D.
With more than 2900 literary citations, Dr. Nosonovsky is one of the most cited assistant professors in the entire field of engineering. His pioneering work on friction and omniphobia (stuff that sticks to nothing!) has had practical applications to everything from ketchup bottles to self-cleaning solar panels. He believes that nature is a tremendous engineer and uses many organic concepts in his quest for perfect materials.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University (Boston, MA), 2001
- M.S., B.A., Mechanical Engineering, St. Petersburg Polytechnic University (Russia), 1992
- Self-organization at the interface (self-healing, self-lubrication, self-cleaning).
- Biomimetic surfaces, including novel applications of the Lotus effect (omniphobicity, anti-fouling).
- Adhesion and capillary force.
- Contact mechanics and dynamic friction.
- Fundamentals of friction and classical mechanics.
- History of classical mechanics
Honors and Awards:
- CEAS Excellence in Research Award (2013)
- ASME Burt L. Newkirk award for outstanding theoretical research in nanotribology (2008)
- NRC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2005-2007)
- Best Reviewer award (2006), ASME Journal of Tribology
- P. R. Menezes, S.P. Ingole, M. Nosonovsky, S. Kailas, M.R. Lovell, M.R. (Eds.) Tribology for Scientists and Engineers (Springer, 2013) M. Nosonovsky & V. Mortazavi. Friction-Induced Vibrations and Self-Organization: Mechanics and Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics of Sliding Contact (CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, 2013, forthcoming, see annotation at the end of this page) M. Nosonovsky and P. K. Rohatgi Biomimetics in Materials Science: Self-healing, self-lubricating, and self-cleaning materials (Springer Series in Materials Science, 2011, ISBN 978-1-4614-0925-0)
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, Multiscale Dissipative Mechanisms and Hierarchical Surfaces: Friction, Superhydrophobicity, and Biomimetics (NanoScience and Technology Series, Springer, Heidelberg, 2008)
- Edited Books and Journal Issues
- "Biomimetics" section editor, Springer Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology (Ed. B. Bhushan, 2012), Vols. 1-4
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan (eds.), Green Tribology Biomimetics, Energy Conservation, and Sustainability (Springer Series in Green Energy and Technology, 2012, in press, ISBN 978-3-642-23680-8)
- M. Nosonovsky (ed.) Entropy and Friction (Special issue of Entropy Journal, 2010)
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan (eds.), Green Tribology (Theme issue of the Phil. Trans Royal. Soc. A., 2010), Vol. 368
- Flores Vivian, V. Hejazi, M. Kozhukhova, M. Nosonovsky, K. Sobolev, "Self-assembling particle-siloxane coatings for superhydrophobic concrete" ACS applied materials & interfaces" ACS Appl Mater & Interfaces, 5 (2013) 13284-13294
- V. Hejazi, K. Sobolev, and M. Nosonovsky "From superhydrophobicity to icephobicity: forces and interaction analysis ", Nature's Scientific Reports, 2013, 3:2194 http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130712/srep02194/full/srep02194.html
- V. Mortazavi, R. Dsouza, and M. Nosonovsky "Study of contact angle hysteresis using Cellular Potts Model ", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2013, 15 (8), 2749 - 2756
- M.Nosonovsky and V. Hejazi. "Why Superhydrophobic Surfaces Are Not Always Icephobic ", ACS Nano, 2012, 6:8488-8491
- V. Hejazi and M.Nosonovsky. "Wetting transitions in two-, three-, and four-phase systems ", Langmuir, 2012, Vol. 28:2173-2180
- V. Hejazi, A. Nyong, P. Rohatgi, M. Nosonovsky "Wetting transitions in underwater oleophobic surface of brass " Adv. Mater. Adv. Mater. 24 (2012) 5963-5966)
- V. Mortazavi, C. Wang, and M. Nosonovsky, "Stability of Frictional Sliding With the Coefficient of Friction Depended on the Temperature " ASME J Tribology 134 (2012) 041601
- M. Nosonovsky, "Slippery when wetted " Nature 477 (2011) 412-413
- V. Mortazavi and M. Nosonovsky, "Friction-Induced Pattern-Formation and Turing systems " Langmuir 27 (2011) 4772-4779
- M. Nosonovsky, "Self-organization at the frictional interface for green tribology " Phil. Trans. Royal. Soc. A., (2010), Vol. 368:4755-4774
- M. Nosonovsky, "Entropy in Tribology: in the Search for Applications " Entropy, 12:1345-1390 (2010)
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, "Green tribology: principles, research areas and challenges " Phil. Trans. Royal. Soc. A., (2010), Vol. 368:4677-4694
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, "Thermodynamics of surface degradation, self-organization, and self-healing for biomimetic surfaces, " Phil. Trans. Royal. Soc. A367 (2009) 1607-1627
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, "Superhydrophobic surfaces and emerging applications: non-adhesion, energy, green engineering, " Current Opinion in Coll. Interface Sci, 14 (2009) 270-280
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, "Multiscale effects and capillary interactions in functional biomimetic surfaces for energy conversion and green engineering, " Phil. Trans. Royal. Soc. A367 (2009) 1511-1539
- S.H. Yang, M. Nosonovsky, H. Zhang, and K.H. Chung, "Nanoscale water capillary bridges under deeply negative pressure " Chem. Phys. Lett., 451 (2008) 88-92
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, "Biologically-inspired surfaces: broadening the scope of roughness " Adv. Func. Mater. 18 (2008) 843-855
- M. Nosonovsky and S. K. Esche, "Multiscale effects in crystal grain growth and physical properties of metals, " Phys Chem. Chem. Phys., 10 (2008) 5192-5195
- M. Nosonovsky, "Multiscale Roughness and Stability of Superhydrophobic Biomimetic Interfaces, " Langmuir, 23 (2007) 3157-3161
- M. Nosonovsky, "On the Range of Applicability of the Wenzel and Cassie Equations " Langmuir 23 (2007) 9919-9920
- M. Nosonovsky, "Model for Solid-Liquid and Solid-Solid Friction for Rough Surfaces with Adhesion Hysteresis, " J. Chem. Phys., 126 (2007) 224701
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, "Biomimetic Superhydrophobic Surfaces: Multiscale Approach, " Nano Lett., 7 (2007) 2633-2637
- M. Nosonovsky and B. Bhushan, "Multiscale friction mechanisms and hierarchical surfaces in nano- and bio-tribology, " Mater. Sc., and Eng. Rep.:, 58 (2007) 162-193
- M. Nosonovsky and G.G. Adams, "Vibration and Stability of Frictional Sliding of Two Elastic Bodies With a Wavy Contact Interface," ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 71 (2004) 154-300.
- B. Bhushan and M. Nosonovsky, "Scale Effects in Friction Using Strain Gradient Plasticity and Dislocation-Assisted Sliding (Microslip), " Acta Mater., 51 (2003) 4331-4345 i