Susan Mcroy, Ph.D.
Dr. McRoy’s work aims to address the difficulty people have in obtaining useful health information from text documents. She hopes to improve overall health by creating and implementing more accurate and easy-to-use forms. In turn, this will help scientists and clinicians improve the quality and cost of healthcare by quickly getting scientific findings into clinical practice.
- B.S., Computer and Communication Science, University of Michigan, 1985
- M.S., Computer Science, University of Toronto, 1993
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Toronto, 1997
Using natural language processing, information retrieval, user modelling, and artificial intelligence to create intelligent natural language dialog systems and extract information from biomedical texts.
Honors and Awards:
- NSF CAREER Award - Integrating Multiple Knowledge Sources for Robust Human-Machine Communication, 1997
- McRoy, S., Cramer, E. M., Owais, R. W. and Hayeon Song, “Assessing Technologies for Information- Seeking by Low-Income Men about Prostate Cancer Screening” (to appear) IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
- Song, H., Vaidhyanathan, V., Cramer, E. M., Owais, R. W., and McRoy, S. “A two-way text-messaging system answering health questions for low-income pregnant women” Patient Education and Counseling, 2013 [PMID: 23711635].
- McRoy, S., Vaidhayanathan, V., May, A. and Hayeon Song, An Open Architecture for Messaging-Based Consumer-Health Question-Answering Proceedings of the Second ACM International Health Informat- ics Symposium (IHI 2012) January 2012.
- Prasad, R., McRoy, S., Frid, N., Yu, H. and Joshi, A., BioDRB: The Biomedical Discourse Relation Bank, BMC Bioinformatics 12:, 2011
- Kurmally, A., Di Eugenio, B., Kahn, C., and McRoy, S., “Building a Corpus and Developing a Question Classifier to Support Messaging-Based Question Answering”, Proceedings of the First ACM International Health Informatics Symposium (IHI 2010), November 2010.
- Milwaukee Men's Health Referral Network