Carol Hirschmugl, Ph.D.
Dr. Carol Hirschmugl received her B.S. in Physics from State University of New York at StonyBrook in 1987 and her Applied Physics Ph.D. from Yale University in 1994. She then received an Alexander von Humboldt grant to do research at Fritz Haber Institut, Berlin, from 1994-1996. In 1996 she was awarded the University of Califoria's Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship to work at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Since 1997, Hirschmugl has been at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where she is a professor in the Physics Department and the Director of the Laboratory for Dynamics and Structure at Surfaces.
Professor Hirschmugl held visiting scientist positions at ANKA, FZK (Karlsruhe, Germany) in 2004 and at ESRG (Grenoble, France) in 2005. She mentored seven REU students and one RET High school teacher during the past 4 years. Hirschmugl's awards include three from the National Science Foundation and the Research Corporation Research Innovation award. Her research is currently supported by a UWM Research Growth Initiative award and a grant from the Southeastern Wisconsin Energy Technology Research Center.
- Ph.D. in Applied Physics, Yale University, 1994.
- B.S. in Physics, State University of New York at StonyBrook, 1987.
- Michael C Martin, Charlotte Dabat-Blondeau, Miriam Unger, Julia Sedlmair, Dilworth Y Parkinson, Hans A Bechtel, Barbara Illman, Jonathan M Castro, Marco Keiluweit, David Buschke, Brenda Ogle, Michael J Nasse, and Carol J Hirschmugl "3D Spectral Imaging with Synchrotron Fourier Transform Infrared Spectro-Microtomography" Nature Methods, Published online 04 August 2013.
- Catherine R. Liao, Margaret Rak, Jillian Lund, Miriam Unger, Eric Platt, Benedict C. Albensi, Carol J. Hirschmugl, and Kathleen M. Gough "Synchrotron FTIR reveals lipid around and within amyloid plaques in transgenic mice and Alzheimer's disease brain"
Analyst 138(14), 3991-3997 (2013)
- Mark J. Hackett, Ferenc Borondics, Devin Brown, Carol Hirschmugl, Shari E. Smith, Phyllis G. Paterson, Helen Nichol, Ingrid J. Pickering, and Graham N. George
"Subcellular Biochemical Investigation of Purkinje Neurons Using Synchrotron Radiation Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopic Imaging with a Focal Plane Array Detector" ACS Chemical Neuroscience 4(7), 1071-1080 Cover Photo (2013)
- Eric C. Mattson, Miriam Unger, Sylvain Clede, Francois Lambert, Clotilde Policar, Asher Imtiaz, Roshan D'Souza, and Carol J. Hirschmugl
"Toward optimal spatial and spectral quality in widefield infrared spectromicroscopy of IR labelled single cells" Analyst DOI: 10.1039/c3an00383c Advance Article - Cover Photo (2013)
- Sylvain Clede, Francois Lambert, Christophe Sandt, Slavka Kascakova, Miriam Unger, Etienne Harte, Marie-Aude Plamont, Renette Saint-Fort, Ariane Deniset-Besseau, Zoher Gueroui, Carol Hirschmugl, Sophie Lecomte, Alexandre Dazzi, Anne Vessieres, Clotilde Policar "Detection of an Estrogen Derivative in Two Breast Cancer Cell Lines using a Single Core Multimodal Probe for Imaging (SCoMPI) Imaged by a Panel of Luminescent and Vibrational Techniques" Analyst DOI: 10.1039/c0xx00000x Accepted Manuscript (2013)
- Eric C. Mattson, Kanupriya Pande, Miriam Unger, Shumao Cui, Ganhua Lu, M. Gajdardziska-Josifovska, Michael Weinert, Junhong Chen, and Carol J. Hirschmugl
"Exploring Adsorption and Reactivity of NH3 on Reduced Graphene Oxide" Journal of Physical Chemistry C 117 (20), 10698-10707 (2013)
- Catherine Schmidt Patterson, David Carson, Alan Phenix, Herant Khanjian, Karen Trentelman, Jennifer Mass, and Carol Hirschmugl "Synchrotron-based Imaging FTIR Spectroscopy in the Evaluation of Painting Cross-sections" e-Preservation Science 10, 1-9 (2013)
- Mark J. Tobin, Ljiljana Puskar, Jafar Hasan, Hayden K. Webb, Carol J. Hirschmugl, Michael J. Nasse, Gediminas Gervinskas, Saulius Juodkazis, Gregory S. Watson, Jolanta A. Watson, Russell J. Crawford, and Elena P. Ivanova
"High-spatial-resolution mapping of superhydrophobic cicada wing surface chemistry using infrared microspectroscopy and infrared imaging at two synchrotron beamlines"
Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 20, 482-489 Cover Photo (2013)
- Craig Clemons, Julia Sedlmair, Barbara Illman, Rebecca Ibach, and Carol Hirschmugl "Chemically imaging the effects of the addition of nanofibrillated cellulose on the distribution of poly(acrylic acid) in poly(vinyl alcohol)" Polymer 54 (8), 2058-2061 (2013)
- Miriam Unger, Eric Mattson, Catherine Schmidt Patterson, Zahrasadet Alavi, David Carson, and Carol J. Hirschmugl
"Synchrotron-based multiple-beam FTIR chemical imaging of a multi-layered polymer in transmission and reflection: towards cultural heritage applications" Applied Physics A - Materials Science & Processing 111 (1), 135-145 (2013)
- Simon W. Fogarty, Imran I. Patel, Julio Trevisan, Takahiro Nakamura, Carol J. Hirschmugl, Nigel J. Fullwood, and Francis L. Martin "Sub-cellular spectrochemical imaging of isolated human corneal cells employing synchrotron radiation-based Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy"
Analyst 138 (1), 240-248 (2013)
- Matthew J. Riding, Julio Trevisan, Carol J. Hirschmugl, Kevin C. Jones, Kirk T. Semple, and Francis L. Martin
"Mechanistic insights into nanotoxicity determined by synchrotron radiation-based Fourier-transform infrared imaging and multivariate analysis" Environment International 50, 56-65 (2012)
- Eric C. Mattson, Michael J. Nasse, Margaret Rak, Kathleen M. Gough, and Carol J. Hirschmugl "Restoration and Spectral Recovery of Mid-Infrared Chemical Images" Analytical Chemistry 84 (14), 6173-6180 (2012)