Adrian Dumitrescu, Ph.D.
A native of Romania, Dr. Dumitrescu authored or co-authored more than 150 articles on subjects ranging from computational geometry to robotics. He’s been at UWM since 2001 and is currently working on the traveling salesman problem and the problem of opaque barriers for convex domains. Dumitrescu was honored with an Excellence in research award from the UWM College of Engineering and Applied Science in 2013.
- Ph.D., Rutgers - The State University of New Jersey
- Theory of Algorithms
- Computational and Combinatorial Geometry
- Combinatorics, Robotics, Digital Arts
Honors and Awards:
- Excellence in research award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, UWM, March 2013
- NSF award, September 2010
- Graduate School/UWM Foundation research award, 2006
- NSF CAREER award, May 2005
- DIMACS award for research support, 1999
- DIMACS fellowship, 1999
- Dumitrescu, A. Ghosh, and M. Hasan, On polygons cuttable with a circular saw, manuscript, 2014.
- K. Chen and A. Dumitrescu, Nonconvex cases for carpenter's rulers, manuscript, 2014.
- Dumitrescu and M. Jiang, The opaque square, manuscript, 2013. Also available on arxiv.
- Dumitrescu and M. Jiang, Computational Geometry Column 58, SIGACT News Bulletin, 44(4), December 2013.
- Dumitrescu, A. Ghosh, and Cs. D. Tóth, On fence patrolling by mobile agents. Also available on arxiv. A preliminary version in Proceedings of the 25th Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, (CCCG 2013), Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, August 2013.
- Dumitrescu and M. Jiang, Computational Geometry Column 56, SIGACT News Bulletin, 44(2), June 2013.
- Dumitrescu, J. Mitchell and P. Zylinski, The minimum guarding tree problem, Discrete Mathematics, Algorithms and Applications, under revision. A short version in Abstracts of the 29th European Workshop on Computational Geometry, (EuroCG 2013), Braunschweig, Germany, March 2013.
- Dumitrescu and Cs. D. Tóth, Computational Geometry Column 54, SIGACT News Bulletin, 43(4), December 2012, 90-97.
- Dumitrescu and Cs. D. Tóth, On the total perimeter of homothetic convex bodies in a convex container, Proceedings of the 16th International Workshop on Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization Problems, (APPROX 2013), Berkeley, CA, August 2013. A short version "Packing disks that touch the boundary of a square" in Abstracts of the 22nd Fall Workshop on Computational Geometry (FWCG 2012), October 2012.
- Dumitrescu and Cs. D. Tóth, The traveling salesman problem for lines, balls and planes. An earlier version in Proceedings of the 24th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, (SODA 2013), New Orleans, January 2013. Also available on arxiv.
- Dumitrescu and M. Jiang, On the approximability of covering points by lines and related problems, manuscript, 2013. Also available on arxiv.
More than 100 publications. List available on: http://www.cs.uwm.edu/faculty/ad/