Benjamin Church, Ph.D.
Dr. Church joined the UW-Milwaukee faculty after graduate school and working for Modine Manufacturing in Racine, Wis. as a technical advisor in the metallurgical lab. His real-world experience brings energy to his research interests, which include high-temperature materials for fuel cell systems and power generation. He has worked with low tech applications such as welding and brazing, as well as high tech solutions such as li-ion batteries for hybrid vehicles. A recipient of the College of Engineering & Applied Science “Excellence in Teaching” award in 2012, Dr. Church is active in several professional societies and is the faculty advisor for the UWM Chapter of Material Advantage.
- Ph.D. – Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2004
- M.S. – Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2002
- B.S. – Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1997
- Energy storage
- High temperature oxidation and corrosion
- Novel processing of metals, ceramics, and composites
- Physical metallurgy
- Thermal analysis of materials
- Thermodynamics; processing-structure-property relations
- Electron microscopy; and x-ray diffraction
Honors and Awards:
- ASM-International, Milwaukee Chapter, “Service Award”, 2013
- UWM College of Engineering and Applied Sciences “Excellence in Teaching” award, 2012
- A. Wanninayake, S. Gunashekar, S. Li, B. Church, N. Abu-Zahra, (2015) Performance and Morphology Analysis of P3HT/PC70BM-CuO Nanoparticle Hybrid Solar Cells. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering. doi: 10.1115/1.4029542
- Y. Sheng, C.R. Fell, Y K Son, B.M. Metz, J. Jiang, B.C. Church (2014) “Effect of Calendaring on Electrode Wettability in Lithium Ion Batteries” Frontiers in Energy Research 2:56. doi: 10.3389/fenrg.2014.00056
- B.C. Church, D.T. Kaminski, J. Jiang (2014) “Corrosion of aluminum electrodes in aqueous slurries for lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Science (2014) Vol 49 (8): pp 3234-3241 doi:10.1007/s10853-014-8028-3.
- H.F. Lopez, H. Mendoza, B. Church. “High-Temperature Oxidation Resistance of a Nanoceria Spray-Coated 316L Stainless Steel Under Short-Term Air Exposure.” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A (2014) Vol 45: pp 1362-1370 doi:10.1007/s11661-013-2051-x.
- D. W. Lipke, Y. Zhang, Y. Liu, B. C. Church, K. H. Sandhage, “Near Net Shape/Net Dimension ZrC/W-based Composites with Complex Geometries via Rapid Prototyping and Displacive Compensation of Porosity (DCP),” J. Euro. Ceram. Soc., 30 (2010) pp. 2265-2277.
- Z. Bao, M.R. Weatherspoon, S. Shian, Y. Cia, P.D. Graham, S.M. Allan, G Ahmad, M.B. Dickerson, B.C. Church, Z. Kang, H.W. Abernathy III, C.J. Summers, L. Meilin, and K.H. Sandhage, (2007). “Chemical reduction of three-dimensional silica micro-assemblies into microporous silicon replicas,” Nature, 446 (7132) pp. 172-175.
- B.C. Church, T.H. Sanders, Jr., and R.F. Speyer, J.K. Cochran; “Thermal Expansion Matching and Oxidation Resistance of Fe-Ni-Cr Interconnect Alloys,” Materials Science and Engineering A vol .452-453 (2007) pp. 334-340.
- M.D. Trexler, B.C. Church, and T.H. Sanders, Jr.; "Determination of the Ni3(Ti,Al) Solvus Boundary in a Directionally Solidified Superalloy,” Scripta Materialia vol. 55 no. 6 (2006) pp. 561-564.
- G. Ahmad, M.B. Dickerson, B.C. Church, Y. Cai, S.E. Jones, R. R. Naik, J.S. King, C.J. Summers, N. Kröger, and K.H. Sandhage; "Rapid, Room-Temperature Formation of Crystalline Calcium Molybdate Phosphor Microparticles via Peptide-Induced Precipitation,” Advanced Materials vol. 18 (2006) pp. 1759-1763.
- Material Advantage – faculty advisor for the UWM student group in MSE.
- Certified private pilot