Junhong Chen Ph.D.
Dr. Junhong Chen is currently a Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering and Excellence in Engineering Faculty Fellow in Nanotechnology at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM). He is also the Director of NSF I/UCRC on Water Equipment & Policy and the founder of NanoAffix Science LLC. Dr. Chen received his B.E. degree (in Thermal Engineering) in 1995 from Tongji University, and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees (both in Mechanical Engineering) in 2000 and 2002, respectively, from University of Minnesota. Prior to joining UWM in 2003, he was a postdoctoral scholar in Chemical Engineering at California Institute of Technology. He was promoted to Associate Professor and Professor in 2008 and 2011, respectively. His current research focuses on nanomaterial innovation for sustainable energy and environment. Dr. Chen has published 200 journal papers on various nanomaterials, sensors, and energy devices. His papers have been cited for over 7,300 times with an h-index of 49 and annual citation 2,200 times in 2016, including 1 hot paper, 27 highly cited paper, and 16 papers cited for over 100 times (ISI Web of Knowledge). Dr. Chen’s research has led to 6 issued patents, 6 pending patents, and 9 licensing agreements. He is a pioneer in technology commercialization through exemplary industrial partnership and the university start-up company. His research excellence was recognized by the 2008 Graduate School/UWM Foundation Research Award, the 2012 UWM College of Engineering & Applied Science Research Excellence Award, the 2014 UWM Research Foundation Senior Faculty Research Award, an elected Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) in 2013, the 2015 Inaugural Regent Scholar of UW System, the 2016 International Association of Advanced Materials (IAAM) Medal, and an elected Fellow of National Academy of Inventors in 2016. His start-up company NanoAffix is a recipient of the 2016 Wisconsin Innovation Award.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2002
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2000
- B.E., Thermal Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 1995
- Nanomaterial innovation for sustainable energy and environment
- Nanomaterial-based sensors and energy devices
- Hybrid nanomaterials
- Corona discharges and plasma reacting flows
Selected Publications (out of 200):
- L. J. Liu, X. R. Guo, R. Tallon, and J. H. Chen*, "Highly Porous N-doped Graphene Nanosheets for Rapid Removal of Heavy Metals by Capacitive Deionization," Chemical Communications 53(5), 881-884, 2017.
- Y. T. Chen, R. Ren, H. H. Pu, J. B. Chang, S. Mao*, and J. H. Chen*, "Field-Effect Transistor Biosensors with Two-dimensional Black Phosphorus Nanosheets," Biosensors & Bioelectronics 89(1), 505–510, 2017.
- Q. X. Lai, Y. X. Zhao, Y. Y. Liang*, J. P. He, and J. H. Chen*, "In Situ Confinement Pyrolysis Transformation of ZIF-8 to Nitrogen-Enriched Meso-microporous Carbon Frameworks for Oxygen Reduction," Advanced Functional Materials 26(45), 8334–8344, 2016.
- Y. Hou, Z. H. Wen, S. M. Cui, X. L. Feng*, and J. H. Chen*, "Strongly Coupled Ternary Hybrid Aerogels of N-deficient Porous Graphitic-C3N4 Nanosheets/N-Doped Graphene/NiFe-Layered Double Hydroxide for Solar-Driven Photoelectrochemical Water Oxidation," Nano Letters 16(4), 2268–2277, 2016.
- S. M. Cui, H. H. Pu, S. A. Wells, Z. H. Wen, S. Mao, J. B. Chang, M. C. Hersam, and J. H. Chen*, "Ultrasensitive Sensitivity and Layer-dependent Sensing Performance of Phosphorene-based Gas Sensors," Nature Communications 6, No. 3632, 2015.
- J. B. Chang, X. K. Huang, G. H. Zhou, S. M. Cui, S. Mao, and J. H. Chen*, "Three-Dimensional Carbon coated Si/RGO Nanostructures anchored Nickel Foams through Carbon Nanotubes for Li-Ion Battery Applications," Nano Energy 15, 679-687, 2015.
- Z. Bo, S. Mao, Z. J. Han, K. F. Cen, J. H. Chen*, and K. Ostrikov*, "Emerging Energy and Environmental Applications of Vertically-Oriented Graphenes," Chemical Society Reviews 44(8), 2108-2121, 2015.
- Y. Hou, Z. H. Wen*, S. M. Cui, S. Q. Ci, S. Mao, and J. H. Chen*, "An Advanced Nitrogen‐Doped Graphene/Cobalt‐Embedded Porous Carbon Polyhedron Hybrid for Efficient Catalysis of Oxygen Reduction and Water Splitting," Advanced Functional Materials 25(6), 872-882, 2015. (Featured as Frontispiece)
- X. K. Huang, S. M. Cui, J. B. Chang, P. B. Hallac, C. Fell, Y. T. Luo, B. Metz, J. W. Jiang, P. T. Hurley, and J. H. Chen*, " A Hierarchical Tin/Carbon Composite as an Anode for Lithium‐Ion Batteries with a Long Cycle Life," Angewandte Chemie International Edition 54(5), 1490-1493, 2015.
- S. M. Cui, H. H. Pu, E. C. Mattson, Z. H. Wen, J. B. Chang, Y. Hou, C. J. Hirschmugl, and J. H. Chen*, "In-situ Transient Voltage-Activated Reduced Graphene Oxide for Ultrasensitive Chemical Sensing," Analytical Chemistry 86(15), 7516 - 7522, 2014.
- X. K. Huang, J. Yang, S. Mao, J. B. Chang, P. B. Hallac, C. Fell, B. Metz, J. W. Jiang, P. T. Hurley, and J. H. Chen*, "Controllable Green Synthesis of Hollow Si Anode for Long-cycle-life Lithium-ion Batteries," Advanced Materials 26(25), 4326-4332, 2014.
- Y. Hou, T. Z. Huang, S. Mao, S. M. Cui, Z. H. Wen, and J. H. Chen*, "Metal−Organic Framework-derived Nitrogen-Doped Core-Shell-Structured Porous Fe/Fe3C@C Nanoboxes Supported on Graphene Sheets for Efficient Oxygen Reduction Reaction," Advanced Energy Materials 4(11), 2014.
- S. Mao, Z. H. Wen, T. Z. Huang, Y. Hou, and J. H. Chen*, "High-performance Bi-functional Electrocatalysts of Crumpled Graphene-Cobalt Oxide Nanohybrids for Oxygen Reduction and Evolution Reactions," Energy & Environmental Science 7(2), 609-616, 2014.
- J. B. Chang, X. K. Huang, G. H. Zhou, S. M. Cui, P. B. Hallac, J. W. Jiang, P. T. Hurley, and J. H. Chen*, "Multilayered Si Nanoparticle/Reduced Graphene Oxide Hybrid as a Lithium-Ion Battery Anode," Advanced Materials 26(5), 758-764, 2014. (Front Cover)
- Y. Hou, Z. H. Wen, S. M. Cui, X. R. Guo, and J. H. Chen*, "Constructing 2D Porous Graphitic C3N4 Nanosheets/Nitrogen-Doped Graphene/Layered MoS2 Ternary Nanojunction with Enhanced Photoelectrochemical Activity," Advanced Materials 25(43), 6291-6297, 2013. (VIP paper)
- S. Mao, Z. H. Wen, H. J. Kim, G. H. Lu, P. T. Hurley, and J. H. Chen*, "A General Approach to One-Pot Fabrication of Crumpled Graphene-Based Nanohybrids for Energy Applications," ACS Nano 6(8), 7505-7513, 2012.
- Z. H. Wen, X. C. Wang, S. Mao, Z. Bo, H. Kim, S. M. Cui, G. H. Lu, X. L. Feng*, and J. H. Chen*, "Crumpled Nitrogen-Doped Graphene Nanosheets with Ultrahigh Pore Volume for High-performance Supercapacitor," Advanced Materials 24(41), 5610-5616, 2012.
- S. Mao, S. M. Cui, G. H. Lu, K. H. Yu, Z. H. Wen, and J. H. Chen*, "Tuning Gas-sensing Properties of Reduced Graphene Oxide Using Tin Oxide Nanocrystals," Journal of Materials Chemistry 22(22), 11009-11013, 2012.
- Z. H. Wen, S. Q. Ci, F. Zhang, X. L. Feng, S. M. Cui, S. Mao, S. L. Luo, and Z. He*, and J. H. Chen*, "Nitrogen-Enriched Core-Shell Structured Fe/Fe3C-C Nanorods as Advanced Catalysts for Oxygen Reduction Reaction," Advanced Materials 24(11), 1399-1404, 2012.
- E. C. Mattson, H. H. Pu, S. M. Cui, M. A. Schofield, S. H. Rhim, G. H. Lu, M. J. Nase, R. S. Ruoff, M. Weinert, M. Gajdardziksa-Josifovska, J. H. Chen*, and C. J. Hirschmugl*, "Evidence of Nanocrystalline Semiconducting Graphene Monoxide during Thermal Reduction of Graphene Oxide in Vacuum," ACS Nano 5(12), 9710-9717, 2011.
- Z. H. Wen, S. M. Cui, H. H. Pu, S. Mao, K. H. Yu, X. L. Feng*, and J. H. Chen*, "Metal Nitride/Graphene Nanohybrids: General Synthesis and Multifunctional Titanium Nitride/Graphene Electrocatalyst," Advanced Materials 23(45), 5445-5450, 2011.
- G. H. Lu, K. H. Yu, L. E. Ocola, and J. H. Chen*, "Ultrafast Room-Temperature NH3 Sensing with Positively-Gated Reduced Graphene Oxide Field-Effect Transistors," Chemical Communications 47(27), 7761-7763, 2011.
- Z. Bo, K. H. Yu, G. H. Lu, S. M. Cui, S. Mao, and J. H. Chen*, "Vertically-oriented Graphene Sheets Grown on Metallic Wires for Greener Corona Discharges: Lower Power Consumption and Minimized Ozone Emission," Energy & Environmental Science 4(7), 2525-2528, 2011.
- G. H. Lu, S. Park, K. H. Yu, R. S. Ruoff, L. E. Ocola, D. Rosenmann, and J. H. Chen*, "Toward Practical Gas Sensing Using Highly Reduced Graphene Oxide: A New Signal Processing Method to Circumvent Run-to-Run and Device-to-Device Variations," ACS Nano 5(2), 1154-1164, 2011.
- S. Mao, G. H. Lu, K. H. Yu, Z. Bo, and J. H. Chen*, "Specific Protein Detection using Thermally Reduced Graphene Oxide Sheet Decorated with Gold Nanoparticle-antibody Conjugates," Advanced Materials 22(32), 3521-3526, 2010.
- G. H. Lu, L. E. Ocola, and J. H. Chen*, "Room-Temperature Gas Sensing through Electronic Transfer between Discrete Tin Oxide Nanocrystal and Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube," Advanced Materials 21(24), 2487-2491, 2009. (Featured as Frontispiece)
- G. H. Lu, L. E. Ocola, and J. H. Chen*, "Gas Detection Using Low-Temperature Reduced Graphene Oxide Sheets," Applied Physics Letters 94(8), No. 083111, 2009. Selected for Mar. 16, 2009 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
- J. H. Chen* and G. H. Lu, "Controlled Decoration of Carbon Nanotubes with Nanoparticles," Nanotechnology 17(12), 2891-2894, 2006.
- J. H. Chen and J. H. Davidson*, "Ozone Production in the Negative DC Corona: The Dependence of Discharge Polarity," Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing 23 (3), 499-516, 2003.
- J. H. Chen and J. H. Davidson*, "Electron Density and Energy Distributions in the Positive DC Coronas: Interpretation for Corona-Enhanced Chemical Reactions," Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing 22 (2), 199-224, 2002.