Ilya Avdeev, Ph.D.
Founder and Director, Advanced Manufacturing and Design Laboratory
Co-Founder and Executive Director: UWM Student Startup Challenge
Director (PI), NSF/RET Site: Milwaukee Regional Energy Education Initiative
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 2003
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, St. Petersburg State Technical University, Russia, 1999
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, St. Petersburg State Technical University, Russia, 1997
- Advanced modeling techniques for solving multiphysics problems.
- Reduced-order and real-time coupled-field simulations.
- Advanced manufacturing and design.
- Energy storage systems.
- Technology innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Slow Innovation, TEDx Milwaukee Talk, May 2013 (I. Avdeev and N. Stern)
- Transforming Ideas into Action: UWM's Student Start-Up Challenge, Radio Interview with Tom Luljak, WUWM Milwaukee, 2/20/2014
- UWM program aims to create entrepreneurial students, by Dan Shafer, BizTimes Milwaukee, 12/16/2013
- UWM start-up contest throws cash behind entrepreneurs' ideas, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 10/6/2012
- Start Me Up! by Laura Hunt, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee News, 9/17/2012
- Wave Powered Kinetic Converters
- Avdeev, M. Martinsen and A. Francis, Rate- and Temperature-Dependent Experimental Characterization of a Multilayer Polymer Separator, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance (2014), 23:315-325.
- P.L. Menezes, M.R. Lovell, I.V. Avdeev, J.-S. Lin and C.F. Higgs III, Studies on the Formation of Discontinuous Chip during Rock Cutting Using an Explicit Finite Element Model, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (2014), 70:635-648.
- Tribological and Mechanical Design Considerations for Wave Energy Collecting Devices, Andrew Fronek, Michael Nosonovsky, Ben Barger and Ilya Avdeev in Green Tribology: Green Energy and Technology, pp. 607-619, Springer, 2012
- Dynamic Radiography Imaging as a Tool in the Design and Validation of a Novel Intelligent Amputee Socket, George Papaioannou, Dimitris Tsiokos, Goeran Fiedler, Christos Mitrogiannis, Ilya Avdeev, Jake Wood, and Ray McKinney in Computational Vision and Medical Image Processing: Recent Trends, pp. 91-112, Springer, 2010.
- Avdeev and M. Shams, Vascular stents: Coupling full 3-D with reduced-order structural models, 2010 IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 10 (DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/10/1/012133).
- R. Amano, I. Avdeev, R. Malloy and M. Z. Shams, Power Performance Test on Different Design of Wind Turbine Rotor Blade, International Journal of Sustainable Energy,iFirst 2011, 1-18. DOI: 10.1080/14786451.2011.599491.
- C. Jewart, K. Chen, B. McMillen, M. Bails, S. Levitan, J. Canning and I. Avdeev, “Sensitivity enhancement of fiber Bragg gratings to transverse stress by using microstructural fibers,” Optics Letters, V. 31, No. 15, pp. 2260-2262 (2006).
- M. Bails, J. Martinez, S. Levitan, J. Boles, I. Avdeev, M. Lovell and D. Chiarulli, “Performance Simulation of a Microwave Micro-Electromechanical System Shunt Switch Using Chatoyant,” Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, V. 44, pp. 1-18 (2005).
- Avdeev, M. Gyimesi, M. Lovell and D. Ostergaard, “Strongly Coupled 3-D Finite Element Transducer,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, V.14, pp. 1491-1502 (2004).
- M. Gyimesi, I. Avdeev and D. Ostergaard, “Finite Element Simulation of Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS) by Strongly Coupled Electro Mechanical Transducers,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, V.40, N2, pp. 557-560 (2004).
- I.V. Avdeev, M.R. Lovell and D. Onipede, Jr., “Modeling In-Plane Misalignments in Lateral Combdrive Transducers,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, V.13, pp. 809-815 (2003).
- J.S. Vipperman, D. Li, I. Avdeev and S.A. Lane, “Investigation of the Sound Transmission into an Advanced Grid-Stiffened Structure,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, V.125, N3, pp. 257-266
- D. Onipede, I Avdeev and G. Sterlacci, “Finite Element Modeling of Smart Composite Plates Reinforced by NiTi Shape Memory Alloy Wires,” Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 4348, pp. 328-337 (2000).