Ryoichi Amano, Ph.D.
Dr. Amano’s work has concentrated on the enhancement of energy production using wind, biomass, alternate fuels, and fossil energy sources. He’s published on topics from space re-entry vehicles to chicken manure gas, and his wind tunnel, gas turbine combustion, bio-mass and water research labs have kept him busy focusing on projects important to Wisconsin.
- Ph.D. - Mechanical Engineering, University of California at Davis, 1980
- M.S. - Mechanical Engineering, Waseda University, 1975
- B.S. - Mechanical Engineering, Waseda University, 1973
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
- Material Processing
Honors and Awards:
- AIAA Energy Systems Award (2013)
- Top Ten Most Research Grant Expenditure in the College of Engineering, UWM (2010)
- Millionaire Club Award for Extramural Research Grant (2009)
- AIAA Sustained Service Award (2007)
- UWM Graduate School Foundation Excellence of Research Award (2001)
- More than 20 Awards from American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Keynote Lecturer at the First National Symposium on Biomass and Waste for Power Generation, Phranakhon Rajabhat University.
- Amano, R.S., “Feasibility Study of hybrid LES/RANS Model for the Flow Over an Aerodynamic Body,” Turbulent, Heat Mass Transfer 7, Begell House, Inc., 2012
- Song, B. and Amano, R.S., “Chapter 1 Higher-Order Discretion Scheme,” 2011, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer-Immerging Topics, Invited Contribution, WIT Press, UK, ISBN: 978-1-84564-144-3.
- Chan, S.H., Amano, R.S., Abou-Ellail, M., Kaseb, S., and Kayed., K., “Numerical Predictions of Turbulent Flow and Heat Transfer in Circular Pipes Using a Low Reynolds Number Two-Equation Model of Turbulence,” 2010 Heat Transfer, pp.111-122, WIT Press, ISBN: 978-1-84564-462-8.
- Abou-Ellail, M., Amano, R.S., and Beshay, K., “Numerical Simulation of Chicken Manure Gas Reformers Using an Extended Chemical Reaction Mechanism,” 2010 Heat Transfer, pp.87-98, WIT Press, UK, ISBN: 978-1-84564-462-8.
- Amano, R.S., “Removal of Volatile Organic Compounds from Soil,” 2010 Water Pollution, WIT Press, UK, ISBN: 978-1-84564-448-2.
- Xu, C. and Amano, R.S., “Design and Optimization of power system compressors,” Thermal Engineering in Power Systems, 2008, Invited Contribution, ISBN: 978-1-84564-062-0, WIT Press, UK.
- Amano, R.S., “Advances in Gas Turbine Blade Cooling Technology,” Advanced Computational Methods and Experiments in Heat Transfer X, 2008, Invited Contribution, ISBN: 978-1-84564-122-1, WIT Press, UK.
- Sun, D. and Amano, R.S., “An Interaction with a Sonic Injection Jet with a Supersonic Turbulent Flow Approaching a Re-entry Vehicle to Atmosphere,” Advances in Heat Transfer, 2006, pp. 65-76, Invited Contribution, ISBN: 1-84564-176-0, WIT Press, UK.
- Amano, R.S., “Research, Education and Tenure System in USA,” Journal of the Heat Transfer Society of Japan, Vol. 45, No. 193, October 2006, pp. 80-83, Invited Contribution, ISSN 1344-8692.
- Xiao, Y. and Amano, R.S., “Aluminized Composite Solid Propellant Particle Path In Combustion Chamber Of Solid Rocket Motor,” Advances in Fluid Mechanics, 2006, pp. 153-164, ISBN: 1-84564-163-9, WIT Press, UK
- Alkhalidi, A. and Amano, R.S., “Factors Affecting Fine Bubble Creation and Bubble Size for Activated Sludge,” Water and Environment Journal (accepted, in press).
- Amano, R.S., Abou-Ellail, M.M., Elhaw, Samer, and Saeed, M., “Numerical Simulation of Hydrogen-Air Reacting Flows in Rectangular Channels with Catalytic Surface Reactions,” Heat and Mass Transfer, September 2013, Volume 49, Issue 9, pp 1243-1260.
- Amano, R.S., Kumar, S., and Martinez-Lucci, J., “Numerical simulations of heat transfer distribution of a two-pass square channel with V-rib Turbulator and Bleed Holes,” Heat and Mass Transfer, August 2013, Volume 49, Issue 8, pp 1141-1158.
- Amano, R.S., Avdeev, I., Malloy, R.J., and Shams, M. Z., “Power, Structural, and Noise Performance Tests on a Different Wind Turbine Rotor Blade Design,” International Journal of Sustainable Energy, Volume 32, Issue 2, April 2013, pages 78-95, DOI: 10.1080/14786451.2011.599491
- Amano, R.S., Engeda, A., Gupta, A.K., Sunden, B., and Xu, C., Industrial Compressor,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Article ID 370425, 2012, doi:10.1155/2012/370425.
- Amano, R.S., Chan, S.H., Abou-Ellail, M.M.M., Kaseb, Sayed Kayed, Hatem., “Computations of Turbulent Flow and Heat Transfer in Circular Pipes Using a Low Reynolds Number Two-Equation Model of Turbulence without Use of Wall Function,” International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, (accepted, in press).
- Xu, C. and Amano, R.S., “Meridional Considerations of the Centrifugal Compressor Development,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 518381, 11 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/518381
- Xu, C. and Amano, R.S., “Empirical Design Consideration for Industrial Centrifugal compressors,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 184061, 15 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/184061
- Amano, R.S., Abou-Ellail, M.M. and Kaseb, Sayed A., “Numerical Predictions of Hydrogen-Air Rectangular Channel Flows Augmented by Catalytic Surface Reactions,” ASME Trans. Journal of Heat Transfer April 2012, Volume 134, Issue 4, 041201 (10 pages) http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4005202
- R. S. Amano, Jose Martinez Lucci, Krishna Guntur and B. Song, “Numerical study of the thermal development in a rotating cooling passage,” Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 48, Number 6, 2012, pp.1011-1022, DOI: 10.1007/s00231-011-0940-3
- Amano, R.S. and Rohatgi, P.K., “Laser Engineered Net Shaping Process for SAE 4140 Low Alloy Steel,” Materials Science and Engineering A (Impact Factor: 2.226), Volume 528, Issues 22-23, 25 August 2011, pp. 6680-6693
- Xu, C. and Amano, R.S., “Study of The Flow in Centrifugal Compressor,” International Journal of Fluid Machinery and Systems (IJFMS), Vol. 3, No. 3,pp.260-270, 2010.
- B. Xiong, X. F. Lu, R. S. Amano and C. Shu “Experimental Research on Gas-Solid Flow in a Square Cyclone Separator with Double Inlets,” Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Fluidized Bed Combustion 2010, Part 3, pp.393-397, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-02682-9_58
- Xu, C. and Amano, R.S., “Computational Analysis of Scroll Tongue Shapes to Compressor Performance by Using Different Turbulence Models,” International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science & Mechanics, Vol. 11, Issue 2, pp. 85-99, 2010.
- Michael Nosonovsky, Ryoichi Amano, Jose M. Lucci , “Physical Chemistry of Self-organization and Self-healing in Metals,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2009, Vol.11, pp. 9530–9536.
- Member of North Shore Congregational Church
- UWM Community Orchestra