ASM MATERIALS CAMP® 2016 MATERIALS IN TODAY’S WORLD
Materials science and engineering is a study of the relationship between the structure of materials at atomic scales and their macroscopic properties. The field uses a combination of chemistry, physics, engineering and biology to further advance various areas of science and engineering. Some applications include nanomachines, bioimplants, smart materials, fuel cells, genetic engineering and space craft. In addition to discovering new materials and exploiting their properties, materials scientists also aim to understand materials so that new materials with the desired properties can be created. Materials scientists and engineers lead the way in turning today’s ideas into tomorrow’s reality.
- What: A very unique team-based, intensive problem solving science experience under the direction of a distinguished world-class faculty, “Materials Mentor.” The camp is a combination of mini-demonstrations, field trips with extensive involvement in laboratory facilities to actively explore materials science & engineering principles.
- Who: Highly motivated, inquisitive learners with math, science and engineering aptitude; students entering their junior or senior year in high school or freshman year in college in Fall 2016.
- Where: UW-Milwaukee, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, College of Engineering & Applied Science
- When: June 20-24, 2016; 8 am – 4 pm Monday-Thursday; 8 am-12:30 pm Friday.
- Cost: Attendance is FREE but selective.
How to apply:
- Apply online at: www.asmfoundation.org or download the PDF Milwaukee ASM Camp Announcement 2016 Application Form
- Required information includes school transcript, a maximum of two letters of recommendation and a personal essay (100 words or more) letting us know why you want to be selected to participate in MATERIALS CAMP.
- Please include your planned college major (if known)/career plans.
For more information about the UW-Milwaukee camp, please contact camp leaders:
- Ben Schultz, UW-M, (414)-229-3399, email@example.com
- Chris Misorski, Mercury Marine, (920) 929-5311, Chris.Misorski@mercmarine.com
- Joe Hamann, Rexnord Innovation Center, (414) 643.2136, Joseph.Hamann@Rexnord.com
For information about ASM or the national camps, visit www.asmfoundation.org or
contact: Jeane Deatherage, administrator of Foundation Programs at