The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Engineering provides an in-depth program of coursework through participation in research or design synthesis. Your major area of concentration must be in one of the six engineering areas: Civil, Computer Science, Electrical, Materials, Industrial, or Mechanical.
The minimum degree requirement is 66 graduate credits beyond the Bachelor’s degree with minimum credit distribution as follows:
- 21 credits in the major area or concentration
- 9 credits in an approved minor area
- 6 credits in mathematics and/or quantitive methods
- 9 credits of approved electives
- 3 credit CEAS Graduate Seminar (Ethics and Engineering Communication, xxx700)
- A minimum of 26 credits, excluding dissertation, must be at the 700 level or higher
- 18 credits of doctoral thesis
- A minimum of 33 credits (including thesis) must be completed in the Ph.D. program at UWM.
Meet the 6 credit requirement in mathematics and/or quantitative methods by completing certain courses specified by the Graduate Program Subcommittee or by taking a minor in mathematics. Minor areas of study are normally offered in other CEAS programs or in the physical sciences, management sciences, or mathematics. Minors in other areas require prior approval.
- A maximum of 33 credits may be considered for transfer from prior graduate work, including a Master’s degree earned at UWM or elsewhere provided the course work taken falls within the appropriate areas and has earned a grade of “B” or better.
- Students entering the program without an applicable Master’s degree are limited to a maximum transfer of 9 credits for courses taken elsewhere.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or computer science, depending on choice of program.
- If you have BS or MS degrees outside of engineering or computer science, you may be admitted with no more than two program-defined course deficiencies.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the highest degree granted based on a 4.0 scale.
- A brief statement describing your professional goals (SoP) and two letters of reference.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all international and domestic applicants.
- International students require proof of English language proficiency. Complete information is available at the UWM Center for International Education
Program changes effective with Spring 2014 admissions
Contact the UWM Graduate School: www.graduateschool.uwm.edu