This undergraduate certificate gives students an opportunity to gain a practical, historical and theoretical understanding of strategies for promoting social change through collective action.

You’ll learn how to:

  • Understand power relations
  • Build coalitions
  • Hold government officials accountable
  • Work with the media

With a focus on urban issues, this certificate is excellent preparation for students who are interested in becoming community organizers, youth and social workers, politicians, community researchers, and nonprofit administrators. It’s also useful for students interested in specializing in other areas, such as international, environmental or union organizing.

You may begin the program by enrolling in ED POL 111. No separate application is required.

About the Certificate

If you’re seeking an undergraduate degree at UWM, you’ll receive the certificate upon completion of your degree. If you already have an undergraduate degree, you’ll receive the certificate once you complete the program requirements. Students without a bachelor’s degree receive a certificate from the UWM School of Continuing Education after completing the program’s required coursework.

External Training Program

Participating in a community engagement training program provided by an external group allows students to meet a diverse range of community organizers from different contexts across the United States. Currently, the Midwest Academy 5-day training program is the only approved program.

Certificate Requirements

Download Certificate Requirements (PDF)

Students enrolled in the program must complete at least 21 credits of courses within the guidelines provided. You may take only 12 credits from a single department, and only 6 credits out of the 12 available for elective courses (components 3 and 4) from a single department. If you wish to enroll (or have enrolled) in programs offered by other groups, including unions, environmental organizations and others, you may petition to the Program Committee for approval. You must achieve a 2.50 GPA in courses required for the certificate.

Gainful Employment

To learn more about this, please visit the UWM Gainful Employment webpage.

See also: Gainful Employment Certificate Disclosure Information

Contact Us

For more information or questions about the program

(414) 229- 4721

Mailing Address

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Department of Educational Policy & Community Studies
School of Education
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201