The John R. Johnson Research Award recognizes and supports undergraduate Communication students who are traveling to scholarly conferences for the purpose of disseminating academic research that advances the field of Communication.
To apply, a student must:
- be a declared, or intended, undergraduate Communication major at UWM with at least one full semester of coursework remaining before graduation
- have completed a minimum of 30 college credits with at least of 20 credits in Communication
- have submitted a paper to an undergraduate research conference or a professional communication conference/convention and agree to attend and present the paper at the conference/convention
Selection criteria for this research award are based upon:
- whether the paper has been accepted or is pending acceptance at the conference or convention (funds may be awarded conditionally; however, no funds will be distributed unless the paper is accepted and the student agrees to present the paper at the conference/convention)
- the competitive nature of the conference or convention
- the applicant’s potential for benefiting academically from receiving the research award and attending the conference/convention
Applications that request support for conference registration and travel expenses that will be incurred during the either the Summer or Fall semesters must be received by 4:30pm on April 1st. Applications requesting support for the Spring semester must be received by 4:30pm on November 1st.
To apply, a student must submit the following items:
- the John R. Johnson Research Award application form (link is available on the Department of Communication’s Scholarships/Awards website, see below)
- a current copy of the student’s UWM transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- written verification of the paper’s submission and/or acceptance
- copies of the research document that will be presented at the conference
To apply, please complete the application process via the following link:
All inquiries should be sent via email to the Department of Communication’s Awards and Recognition Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org
- P.O. Box 413
2522 E. Hartford Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53201
- (414) 229-4261
- (414) 229-3859