The Department of Communication’s Doctoral program only admits once a year for the Fall Semester. We recommend that you submit all materials to have a completed file by January 1st. A complete application consists of seven items:
- Online application completed at the UWM Graduate School.
- Statement of Reasons for Graduate Study—submitted to the UW-Milwaukee Graduate School online.
- Graduate Record Examination scores, this is a test provided by the Educational Testing Services.
- Official copy of all undergraduate transcripts—sent to UW-Milwaukee Graduate School.
- Three letters of recommendation sent to the Department of Communication.
- Writing Sample sent to the Department of Communication.
- Copy of curriculum vitae.
A complete summary of the application process can be found at:
- PhD Application Checklist (pdf 17kb)
You are encouraged to contact the Doctoral Program Director at any point in the application process:
Professor Kathryn Fonner
PhD Program Director
Department of Communication
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201