WHSMUN 2017: Thursday, March 23 – Friday, March 24, 2017
WHSMUN is a two-day conference offering high school students a rewarding and challenging opportunity to learn about foreign policy and gain experience in the skills of international diplomacy through simulations of real world issues impacting individuals, families, and communities in member-states being discussed at the United Nations.
If you are experienced or have never participated in Model UN before, there is a place for you at WHSMUN!
Registration for the 2017 conference is closed.
General Conference Information:
General Assembly Main Committee and Special Council Background Guides:
Background guides will give a brief overview of the issue and some guiding questions to consider. They are meant to be a starting place for delegates to begin their research, but are by no means comprehensive and inclusive of all of the information on that particular issue. This allows for great research skill building as well as the flexibility for addressing each issue generally and then specifically as it pertains to the country the delegates are representing.
First Main Committee: Disarmament and International Security
- Chemical Weapons in the Post-Cold War Era
- Protection of Medical Personnel in War Zones
- Information Security and Its Relation to the Private Sector
- Controlling Illicit Arms Trade
Second Main Committee: Economic and Financial
- Regulating Cryptocurrency
- Addressing Currency Intervention
- Predatory Microfinance and Economic Development
- Issues in the International Tax Code
Third Main Committee: Social, Humanitarian, and Cultural
- Preserving Culturally Significant Sites
- Reproductive Health and Gender Equality: Comprehensive Sexuality Education
- Corporate Abuses of Human Rights
- Ensuring Safety for Journalists
Fourth Main Committee: Special Political and Decolonization
- Water Scarcity as a Global Issue
- Limiting the Impacts of Unexploded Ordinance
- Opening Discourse on New Colonialism
- Satellite Security and Rights
Security Council Background Guide (Issues: The Crisis in the Ukraine and The Situation in Syria)
Historical Security Council -1950 – Background Guide (Issues: The Situation in Korea and Israeli-Palestinian Crisis)
Council of the European Union Background Guide (Issues: Responding to a Resurgent Russia and Changes in the European Union)
Human Rights Council Background Guide (Issues: The Situation in North Korea, Human Rights After the 2016 Turkish Coup Attempt, and Human Rights and the Mexican Drug War)
International Court of Justice Background Guide (Mexico v. United States of America – 2003 and Argentina v. Uruguay – 2006)
Joint Crisis Committee General Guide (Salvadoran Civil War) * Please note: Specific committee and character role assignments will be e-mailed to participating advisors directly.
Position Paper Resources and Useful Tools:
The deadline for position papers to be considered for an award is extended to March 10, 2017. Additionally to be considered for an award papers must be properly formatted as outlined in the below Position Paper Overview: Research and Writing Guide. The user name and password for uploading papers will be sent to WHSMUN advisors in the beginning of February 2017. Upload Position Papers Here. View position papers that have been submitted.
- Position Paper Overview: Research and Writing Guide – Please reference this guide for the correct format for position papers to be considered for awards.
- Research Graphic Organizer
- Research Sources Guide
Resolution Writing Resources:
- Drafting a Resolution Guide
- Procedure for Passing and Amending a Resolution
- Examples of Phrases for Pre-ambulatory and Operative Clauses
Parliamentary Procedure Resources:
- WHSMUN Parliamentary Rules and Procedures – Updated 3/15/16
- WHSMUN Parliamentary Procedure Short Forms
SAVE THE DATE: WHMSUN 2018 – March 22-23rd
If you are interested in the conference or have questions, please contact WHSMUN Coordinator, Dina Wolf, by e-mail: email@example.com or by phone: (414) 229-3312 (Direct Line) or WHSMUN 2017 Secretary-General, Michael Orlowski, at firstname.lastname@example.org.