How to Apply

The application is online and has to include the following documents:

    1. Minimum qualifications defined by the Graduate School.
    2. Online submission of your Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. (The Advanced Chemistry score is also strongly recommended, though not required.) New! We are accepting MCAT and PCAT test scores instead of GRE scores.
    3. Online submission of official transcripts from each college or university you have attended. (These must bear an official seal, be signed by the Registrar’s Office of the corresponding institution)
    4. Online submission of Statement of “Reasons for Graduate Study”. This is usually one page describing your motivation and goals for your graduate studies. If possible specify which area of chemistry you are interested in.
    5. Online submission of three email addresses of your recommenders. Our system will automatically send out requests for recommendation letters. Your recommenders will be able to login and submit their recommendation. Please urge your recommenders to submit their letter as a .pdf file with original letter head and signature.

Please check your application status often and contact the chair of the admission committee in case of any questions. (Prof. Silvaggi;

International Students

Application to the graduate school for international students must also include the following: Complete instructions will be found at the Center for International Education.

      • Language Proficiency
        • TOEFL – International applications for admission to the Graduate School at The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee require a TOEFL score. The minimal score for regular admission is 79 (TOEFL) or 6.5 (IELTS). The average scores of our international students is >90 (TOEFL) and >7.5 (IELTS).
        • In case that that your score for speaking is lower than 23 (TOEFL) or 7.0 (IELTS) you will take a University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee Teaching Assistant Assessment (MITAA) test. Details about this test can be found on the here. Students not passing this test will be enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses before taking the MITAA test again.
      • $40 processing fee in addition to the $56 Graduate School application fee.