READ career descriptions, required skills/education, salaries & job outlook
- Career Websites – Use OOH, ONET, & CareerWise in External Resources.
- Career Videos – Google a career title with the words “career video”, “day in the life of”, or “job video”.
- Job Postings – Get a real look at what a job entails and what employers require. Start your search with Indeed under External Resources.
TALK with professionals to gather first-hand career information
- Informational Interviewing and Job Shadowing – Check out the Informational Interviewing Tip Sheet, under CPaRC Resources. Learn how to identify people, conduct the meeting, and questions to ask. Come to Walk-in Hours and a career advisor can help you further.
- UWM Career Fairs – Career fairs provide the opportunity to talk to employers about careers, required skills, internships, etc. Check out the Prepare for a Career Fair Tip Sheet under CPaRC Resources.
EXPERIENCE the careers and work environments you are considering
- UWM Student Organizations – Many organizations go on company tours and have professionals come speak about their careers. Identify organizations related to your major and/or interests on the Student Involvement website.
- Part-Time Jobs, Internships, and Volunteering – All allow you to test out career ideas, build your resume, and develop skills.
- Locate jobs and internships with PantherJobs and Indeed, found in External Resources and attend a UWM Career Fair.
- Locate volunteer opportunities by speaking with someone at the UWM Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership, and Research.