Internships provide opportunities to experiment and pursue careers that match academic and personal interests. You are learning from a professional in your intended career field who provides assignments and projects with learning objectives, goals, training and supervision. Internships give you the opportunity to gain valuable experience and make connections in professional fields you are considering. The length of internships usually last one to two academic semesters, or longer depending on the needs of the employer. How many hours you are require to work will depend on the type of internship you have (academic credit, paid or volunteer). Paid internships will vary by academic major, skills and experience.
- An internship can be an excellent way to try out a certain career.
- Explore possibilities of career options.
- Gain valuable skills and career-related experience.
- Establish professional contacts for networking.
- 75% of employers taking part in The National Association of Colleges and Employers Job Outlook 2015 survey preferred to hire job candidates who have work experience gained through an internship or co-op experience.