The typography used in the UWM logomark is created from the New Baskerville and Futura typeface families. They represent the preferred typeface families for UWM communications. A variety of weights, in both roman and italic, are available in each type family and can be used to emphasize words or phrases.
Compatible Supporting Typefaces
Compatible supporting typefaces are acceptable for use in UWM communications. They include the following serif and san serif typefaces:
The use of UWM’s preferred and compatible supporting typefaces for text and correspondence is a subtle, but important visual tool to strengthen UWM’s brand.
Accent Font Acceptable Use
What is an Accent Font?
An accent font is any typeface that is used in addition to the approved university typeface families and compatible supporting typefaces that are defined above.
Acceptable Use of Accent Fonts
The use of “accent fonts” is acceptable if the use meets the following criteria:
- Accent font serves a definable purpose (e.g. highlights a specific word, headline, event title or phrase for emphasis).
- Accent font does not overpower the official University typefaces.
- Accent font must be used as a ‘supporting’ typeface NOT as the main typeface.
- Accent font is used to promote an event, art gallery show, or program that relies on a unique identity in its promotional materials to be successful in targeting a specific audience.
- Accent fonts are limited to 1–2 fonts per project.
Exceptions to the above criteria must be reviewed and approved by the Brand Oversight Committee.
Adobe Font Folio – Where to get the UWM typefaces
The Adobe Font Folio is a collection of more than 2,300 OpenType typefaces including all of the UWM appropriate typefaces. Font Folio 11 is now available, at no cost, for use on University-owned computers.
Font Folio can be obtained from the UWM Software Shop. You will need a faculty/staff ePanther ID and password to log in to the site. Once logged in, type “Font Folio” in the search box and it will show you the software. It can be “purchased” for $0. Instructions on how to access Font Folio will be included with your download link.