UWM is located in the upper east side of Milwaukee, considered one of Milwaukee’s nicest and safest neighborhoods. It is still important to follow personal safety tips to reduce the likelihood of an incident occurring to you.
- Know your destination and how you are getting there.
- Know your plan on getting home.
- Know where the nearest Blue Light S.A.F.E. phone is located (map).
- Know the nighttime hours of B.O.S.S. and the S.A.F.E. Walkers in case you find yourself without transportation.
- Take a yearly self-defense class.
- Download the free UWM Mobile app for easy access to campus safety resources. (iOS / Android)
- Sign up for S.A.F.E. Alerts. To sign up, text SAFEALERT to 79516.
- Program important numbers into your phone:
Be Aware and Alert
- Be aware and alert to what is going on around you.
- Stand tall, walk confidently, and make eye contact with those around you.
- Be aware of your surroundings especially when using a handheld device.
- If biking or driving, watch out for pedestrians and stop at marked crosswalks.
- If confronted, surrender property rather than risk your life. In an emergency, if you have no access to a phone, find the nearest Blue Light S.A.F.E. phone (map).
- If you feel threatened, find the nearest Blue Light S.A.F.E. phone (map) immediately.
- Cross streets only at marked crosswalks.
- If you own a bicycle, register it with the UWM Police Department.
- If biking, follow the rules of the road (i.e. wear a helmet, ride with traffic, avoid sidewalks, etc.).
- Secure your bicycle with a Cycle-Safe bike locker or a secure lock of your own.
- Do not leave electronics, purses, wallets, or backpacks unattended.
- Keep your car locked and remove any valuables.
- Avoid walking alone, especially at night.
- Stay within well-lit areas. Avoid walking within alleys or dark side streets.
- If you’ve been drinking, try to find someone to drive or walk you home. Utilize B.O.S.S. and the S.A.F.E. Walkers if necessary.
- Don’t drink anything that could have been tampered with.
- Don’t invite random people into your house.